Does your Trailer suit your boat

Yarraone

Just because your trailer has wheels under your frame doesn't mean it is suited for the job...This is a work in progress of a refit and upgrade...

This trailer is a members first boat and shows one of the lesson's some people learn about our great past time...

This trailer has been put together from 2 differnt trailers not built to do the job but to cut corners and put the boat on the road..

These small boat wheels are not suited to this size boat.

The sub frame that holds the complete suspension is attached only by 4 u-bolts, and is stuffed..Brakes were not working and had towing issues.....

So to help a member out we are going to do a refitand rebuild of frame and chassis.

Strengthen overall frame.

supply and fit the complete suspension, disc brakes 14" light truck wheels. With 2 ton rated boggie axles and bearings

Should be finished this week... More photo's will follow with the progress

post-6381-0-36446000-1443554480_thumb.jpgpost-6381-0-59928300-1443554525_thumb.jpgpost-6381-0-87570100-1443554630_thumb.jpg

post-6381-0-49913900-1443554694_thumb.jpgpost-6381-0-92271100-1443554696_thumb.jpgpost-6381-0-93935400-1443554699_thumb.jpg

post-6381-0-85711100-1443554701_thumb.jpgpost-6381-0-52597300-1443554706_thumb.jpg

Hi yarraone, will be watching with interest as I have a trailer boat combination I feel has been missmatched. I could be wrong but I always have trouble driving the boat back onto the trailer, always wants to bugger off to the left about 1/3 the way on the trailer. You mention about the wheels being to small for the size of the boat. How would you know if the wheels or any other part of a trailers are correct for the size of the boat if you only have the basic knowledge of trailers.

Thanks Alan

Edited by Gagafush

Thats easy, you just pay the bill when it turns up. No inspection required

Do you have a preferance for the 14inch? I have some 13 in with LT tyres on mine

but... inspection is required....

From RMS website:

"Most vehicles require an eSafety Check inspection (sometimes called a pink slip) before you can renew the registration. This includes:"

"

Trailers and caravans up to 2 tonnes gross trailer mass (without breakaway brakes).

Note: Trailers that weigh less than 250 kilograms do not require inspection

"

Now i can tell you right now that the above trailers GVM is > 250kg

My single axle braked trailer has a tare of 260kg and you are looking at a dual axle, braked, modified trailer.

Look, im not trying to be the fun police here, its just that im not too sure if CTP will cover said person if they have an accident while towing the aobe trailer (they seem to have a way of slithering out of responsibility).

Also, not too sure if the the RMS knows of the trailer mods so on their system the trailer might still be under 250kg (it could have been that when the initial trailer was registered before any mods that it fell under 250kg GVM and it didnt require an inspection)

in any case, good luck with the refit, im sure it will be a whole heck of a lot safer than what it is now.

Do you have a preferance for the 14inch? I have some 13 in with LT tyres on mine

Depending on the size of your boat, 13" are fine with the LT tyres.. This boat in question is over 2 ton

Hi yarraone, will be watching with interest as I have a trailer boat combination I feel has been missmatched. I could be wrong but I always have trouble driving the boat back onto the trailer, always wants to bugger off to the left about 1/3 the way on the trailer. You mention about the wheels being to small for the size of the boat. How would you know if the wheels or any other part of a trailers are correct for the size of the boat if you only have the basic knowledge of trailers.

Thanks Alan

Your boat always going to the left isnt always the trailers problem more than the alignment of the rollers and technique that you use.. i will post more progress photos this weekend and then next week with the finish

regardless on wieght, all dual axle trailers must have inspection every year but most inspections dont check chassis and brakes

Looking great Sean! being the first boat I had no idea how they push/pull but now I know why the Jeep's brakes are completely burnt up. Can't wait to hook it up and see how she goes down the road. I'm sure it'll be much more stable and easier to pull. Lights look good on the back as well( Heaps better than the light board that came with the boat)