Good 2-4 KG Rod for Lures?

Jay88

Hi all,

Currently, I have a 4-6 KG graphite outfit and a 6-8 KG surf rod. Smaller outfit is equipped with a 4000 reel, bigger rod has a 8000 reel, both mono.

I want to be getting more into lure fishing over this summer and was wondering if I should consider a 2-4kg outfit such as the

ROVEX 601 SOX Spin Rod. I just like how it looks, but any other advice? I will be using Braid

Further, if I hit a decent fish, would it be very difficult bringing it in with an outfit of this size? Cheers

Best advice for someone starting out on sp's would be to go to a tackle store and get a combo under $100. 2-4kg with 2500 reel 6-8lb braid. 1/8 or 1/4 jig and a squidgy bloodworm wriggler 80mm or 3-4inch minnow/jerk shad. Plenty of decent combos for that price. Yes you will lose fish at times but no different than any other type of fishing. It's all about learning how to play different fish!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Shimano Starlo Classix 7’ two piece (for convenience) and Shimano Symetre 2500. Online you can get the set for about $250 if you look around. You'll land bigger fish as well as long as you can let them run as needed but high stick a big fish and you're likely to snap the graphite rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pretty much started off my plastics fishing with what Scratchie mentioned - I bought a daiwa combo for $70 (2000 sized reel and 2-4kg rod 6'6").......my first dedicated plastics combo (8 years ago) and was amazed what it could handle and how light it was. Got a few packs of jigheads 3gram size 2 hook, 1/8ou size 2 and 2/0 hook and 1/4ou size 2/0 hook and a few packs of plastics, berkley prawns 2", berkely worms 2" and some 5" jerkshads. I blame that combo for the thousands I have spent on plastics combos and tackle since lol.

Hi All. Thanks for the great feedback!

I went out fishing yesterday and was using a mates 2-4KG outfit. It was a Shimano Bream Finesse Raider Series (Mexican Fire I believe). It had 6lb Braid and mono backing.

I used the rod for about 7 hours flicking soft plastics, LOVED IT!!! So I think I might go for that option. Now, my question is the reel...Im trying to decide between a 2500 Shimano Stradic ($200) OR a Shimano Symetre for $130.

I really don't want to spend a lot...so was eyeing the Symetre... any thoughts?

Jay

The symetre will be fine, as would one of the new series Sedona's. There's no need to spend a lot to catch bream, whiting and flathead.

But but but! What if a decent Jew or Tailor takes it?! :P I worry too much eh

If you're buying a 2-4 rod put 6# or less on it, then if you're fishing 6# or less you only need a 1000 reel.

My second rod/mates rod is a 2-4 pflueger Trion + symetre 1000 with 3 pound. Spooled up with some leader will go for about $300. It will get Kings in the open with some patience and any lizard.

Once you're in the structure it's a different game, but you are then you are taking a knife to a gunfight but you know that, and you have other outfits already.

If you're gunna go light do it properly, if you use 8# + 10-16 leader there's no point in buying a 2-4 in the first place.

Edit- typo

Edited by stevefish

If you get the Symetre then I would put good money on you snapping braid or the Raider (or my suggested) rod before you break the reel, so if you are really worried about big fish, you need a bigger combo. My Dad always told me to fish as light as you dare - you will lose less fish on a light combo than you will catch on a heavy one.

The Raider is a lovely rod. I bought one for my son and he loves it (yes, matched with a 2500 Symetre). We also use 6 lb braid on 12 mono backing, with a 12 lb mono shock leader. Then swivel to flouro leader to hook or lure. Very simple very effective.

I have the Shimano Catana rod and Sienna reel, that was is my first learning SP combo, it's spooled with 10lb mono backing, 6lb braid with a 8lb leader as I use it for bait and plastics.

Biggest fish I have caught with it is a 97cm flathead and a 38cm Snapper. Did it no problem

Cost $190 complete including line from one if the major fishing shops.

If you're buying a 2-4 rod put 6# or less on it, then if you're fishing 6# or less you only need a 1000 reel.

My second rod/mates rod is a 2-4 pflueger Trion + symetre 1000 with 3 pound. Spooled up with some leader will go for about $300. It will get Kings in the open with some patience and any lizard.

Once you're in the structure it's a different game, but you are then you are taking a knife to a gunfight but you know that, and you have other outfits already.

If you're gunna go light do it properly, if you use 8# + 10-16 leader there's no point in buying a 2-4 in the first place.

Edit- typo

You are absolutely correct. A light outfit should have light weight. I have decided to go with the Raider and Symetre 2500 with 6lb Braid. I think I was close to diverting away again from what I am trying to achieve with this gear. I already have 2 heavier outfits, which I can just cast out with bait and leave them, as I use the lighter rod for luring. Thanks for that wonderful right up and advice.

If you get the Symetre then I would put good money on you snapping braid or the Raider (or my suggested) rod before you break the reel, so if you are really worried about big fish, you need a bigger combo. My Dad always told me to fish as light as you dare - you will lose less fish on a light combo than you will catch on a heavy one.

The Raider is a lovely rod. I bought one for my son and he loves it (yes, matched with a 2500 Symetre). We also use 6 lb braid on 12 mono backing, with a 12 lb mono shock leader. Then swivel to flouro leader to hook or lure. Very simple very effective.

Hi bud, I think your dad was BANG on the dot. As I already have two heavier outfits, I might just use them and leave them out with bait. I will get the light outfit specfically for lure fishing, bream, tailor, flathead , tailor, salmon etc. I will be getting the same line config on your sons rod. And I couldn't agree more with mosing more fish on a heavier rod as setting the hook is a bit more tricky.

I have heard a saying from a friend "I would rather consistently catch fish, legal size, big or small, rather than have a 12ft rod out and spend 10 hours waiting for a hit". I am guessing this is true lol. I will be picking up the outfit tomorrow at a local store! I think the rod will cost me $100, Symetre 2500 around $130 and 150yds braid... looking at around $280-$300 if I also get a case for the rod!

Shimano Finesse Bream Raider 2 - 2-4KG rod purchased! With 2500 FE Sedonna and 5lb Power Pro Braid !! And a few 2.5-3 inch Power bait minnows! Woot! All up $241

xD :D

Edited by Jay88

I buy the best I can afford ! I prefer to put a little more into the reel. To a point. I have both the Symetre and the Stradic ci4+ The ci4+ is a big jump up from the Symetre it is smoother lighter and more corrosion resistant. I like a little more power in the rod, so I went for a 2 to 5 kg. My first was an older version of the Raider I think it is a Bass Spin ? earlier this year ,after about 12 months trying other peoples gear,I settled on a Shimano TK3G 732 2 to 5 kg 1 to 9 gram . it has a lovely light tip for unweighted plastics but will also throw a 10 gram viblicous. hint hint. Amazing lure. I put a Stradic ci4+ 1000 on it for it's weight. But in hindsight , perhaps , possibly a 2500? I don' t know! too many choices!! so many different ways to fish. There has to be a compromise somewhere! Have a look at the soon to be released Fins 40G braid.

Personally, and this is only My opinion, I wouldn't spend $70 on a combo even for my kids. Obviously if you're really strapped for cash, then get something you can afford, but put as much into it as you can afford up front and you will have a much better experience. I believe that my kids love fishing so much today, because the times they hooked really good fish when they were starting out, they tended to land them because the gear was up to the the task and easy to use, with smooth click drags as a minimum. A light well balanced 2 piece graphite rod that is reasonable quality will be around 80 bucks. A reasonable quality reel to match that rod will be between 60 and 80 bucks. I wouldn't recommend anything less for a good fishing experience. Again, personal opinion but born out of good results and recommendations to other fishermen.

Matt