Any Fishing Tips For North Bondi?

smvalentine

Hello

I am new to the forums and, technically new to fishing.

Having always done a bit of fishing from time to time and a big fan of seafood, I decided that this year I would buy some decent fishing gear and start catching some fish.

I went shopping and told the guy I wanted some gear that I can go fishing within walking distance of my house(Nth Bondi). He was very helpful and I got some nice gear. I got a nice big rod, a decent real and various tackle.

Since then (about 4 weeks ago) I have realised just how technical fishing is...and how much I love it!

Problem is, I can't actually catch any fish. There are a few asian guys that fish regularly done on the rocks there and have given me some tips. One even showed me how to set up my rig, using his tackle!!!(nice guy). But I still haven't caught anything. It is embarrassing to keep going home to the family without any fish. So I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips at all....anything will be helpful

I also have some specific questions:

1. Why can't I cast out very far...(The guy said I bought a good real for casting but I just can't seem to get it as far as the other fisherman, and they seem to just give theirs a flick. I have 30lb line on). I do know how to cast, just can't seem to get distance. Do you think I need a lighter line of need more line on the spool?

2. I also feel like the waves constantly drag my line into snags even though I am using a float. Everyone has told me to use small sinkers. I can't seem to hold the line taut either and the waves keep dragging in the loose line to the rocks close to shore. How do I prevent this?

3.Is it worth fishing from the beach and if so, What sort of rig should I use. (I don't care what fish I catch as long it is at an edible size)?

Thank you and hope to post more regularly as I start landing some fish.

Mojjo

It is embarrassing to keep going home to the family without any fish.

Hi Moijo

Welcome to the fishing family

I would like to say that for me fishing is about going out, explore, learn new things.

To get something for dinner is mostly a by product -nice nevertheless-

So don't worry about getting home empty handed, you probably spend a nice day out

-a bad day fishing (not that there are) is better then a good day at work (not that there are either)

About one of your question: How to avoid snags on the rock:

I used a running float, with a stopper at 1 or 2 meters more then the depth of the water, then I attached a running sinker underneath.

This way, choosing a relatively light floater, when the fish takes the hook, it takes the slack (that's why the 1-2 meter extra) of the float, and the line stays out of the rock. With the running sinker on the ground, the float does not get closer to the rocks either.

tight lines

Thanks for the advice Camel, might try that tonight.

And please don't get me wrong! I love the fishing and being out there. Its just when you have put in around 40 hours of fishing with not even a bite, it hurts the ego a bit.

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice Camel, might try that tonight.

And please don't get me wrong! I love the fishing and being out there. Its just when you have put in around 40 hours of fishing with not even a bite, it hurts the ego a bit.

Thanks again

I know

I have bought a boat - of course to enjoy the harbour, but also to get something more 'exciting' then the breams from the wharfes-

well ... no result yet so ... I look at it as a learning curve: very steep in the beginning

By the way: was trolling on top of a baitball at the heads ... with the obvious result, as i was on the way back to the ramp: Nada

But hey, getting closer every time!

:1welcomeani: to the forums Mojjo

Don't despair mate ... help is on it's way. Admin is currently working on a new concept based on adopting a 'novice', and time spent on the beach/rocks with a more experienced fisho will improve your performance (and keeper net!) pretty quickly ;)

Until that eventuates, if you give Raiders a little more information about what fish you are chasing, what sort of rigs you are using, rod length and reel size, etc, I am sure you will receive a plethora of advice. Initially, it will be a steep learning curve, but, as you have already experienced, fishos (especially Raiders) are a very helpful bunch.

Here's another tip. Keep your eye on our Live Chat section of the forum. Spend enough time on the forums and you will see regular members' names who fish the same style of fishing you like, and if they happen to drop into the chat room, you can meet them in there and get some tips and advice. You may even find some of them will send you a message saying they will meet you in there for a chat. :thumbup: Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

Mojjo its bee na few years but I used to fish Nth Bondi a lot places like Flat rock the slide and the Mermaids! it can be dicey out there in any southerly swell it fishes best in a NE swell, a good spot is fish off the back of the swimming baths on dusk you cast out in behind the break my rig was a sidecast MT4144 and I would use a number 1 or 2 ball sinker between a swivel then brass ring with a 2 metre leader, depending on bait you should get bream whiting flathead dart and salmon, if going for salmon use a gang hook rig and no lead and cast unweighted pillies out and slow retreive a deadly technique that can also result in a kingie or tailor!

Edited by luderick -angler

Welcome to the world of fishing :)

for casting distance if the reel and rod is setup to cast far the line and sinker waits need to all match correctly eg: cant use too heavy of a sinker if the rod is light

When my mate lived in Bondi i fished the area a fair bit with some great success. the rocks hold some fish and squid but the beach holds a lot of good fish as well.

We have pulled bream, tarwhine, snapper, flatties, whiting, salmon, tailor and big shovelnose from the surf, and in good numbers and sizes. One of my best sessions came from that beach and at this time of year as well!

First to help we need more "technical information"

What rod are you using - brand, length, line rating.

What reel are you using, brand and model #.

With this information I reckon we can get you into a fish or 5 within 2 weeks.

you might need to go get some stuff but once you have it you'll be into a few.

Edited by Yeeros

Dude,

There is heaps of fish where you are going! Ben Buckler I take it. There is a few well know spots North of there, ( won't take much effort into figuring how to get down there), but I think you are misssing the key to rock fishing.

Casting is someting you do with metals( something I highly reccomend), or other lures. Fishing baits off the rocks is holding as tight to the edge of the rock your standing on as you dare.Lose heaps of gear but the fish are close.

This is not a cast the rod and sit it down, you gottat work your gear, in,out,down, and around.

More fish than you can think of in the first 2 feet

Hi Mojjo, Im in the same "boat" as you. Have not fished since I was a kid. Today I went and bought a 10' rod with reel, couple of sinkers and hooks and some bait. Plan to get up real early to fish. If you see this before 10pm tonight, maybe we can meet up and have a fish. I have a car so can pick you up if needed.

The other thing is, stick with this site cos there are brilliant people who will help us novices with advice etc. Something we both need!!!

Hi all

Thank you all for your responses. I have taken it all on board.

I actually caught 2 nice tailors on the weekend of Bondi, and quite a good size Bream in Rose Bay, so have now broken the drought.

Happy fishing to all and see you on the forums soon.

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Thank you all for your responses. I have taken it all on board.

I actually caught 2 nice tailors on the weekend of Bondi, and quite a good size Bream in Rose Bay, so have now broken the drought.

Happy fishing to all and see you on the forums soon.

I know this is an old post but i thought i could add something.

I go blackfishing (drummer)at north bondi all the time, my methods would be considered unconventional but i usually have good results. the places i go require a little climbing and can only be fished in extremely favourable conditions. because of this i would only show you these places if you are fairly fit and a confident surf swimmer. as even in light swell these spots would be considered dicey!

anyways let me know if you are game!

Edited by Aladin