How Long Does Frozen Fish Keep?

Mik

Oh well, too late!

I fed the fish to my guests & they should be back from getting their stomachs pumped very soon.......

Just kidding, so does anyone wanna throw some light in here?

:bump0ee:

Thanks mate. Was curious as we have some perch in the freezer from March, only one little fillet though as I much prefer to eat it fresh. Nothing better than fish dinner on the day you catch it. I think I'll defrost the little fella & have him for lunch on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate,

I had some whiting and flathead that i caught in foster at christmas still in the freezer. We cooked them up last month. Still tasted ok. As long as your freezer is cold enough it should be ok.

Hi Mik,

From the fish market web site

8. How long can I freeze seafood for?

The simple answer is 6 months for whole, non-oily fish and 3 months for everything else, which includes oily fish (whole or otherwise), any pieces of fish (such as fillets, cutlets and steaks) and all shellfish, including crustaceans (such as Rocklobsters, Prawns, Crabs) and molluscs (such as Mussels, Abalone, Squid). The important thing to remember is that these time periods are only valid if the seafood is stored at -18°C or less and some domestic freezers do not get this low, so, if in doubt, check your freezer’s temperature or freeze for shorter periods of time. Better still, whenever possible, buy fresh Australian seafood and eat it as soon as possible while it’s still at its freshest and tastiest.

Cheers.

Robbie.

i don't know if it extends their "frozen life" or not , but it CERTAINLY keeps that fresh taste :

try to take a large tupperware with you. fill it up with sea water and put the fish in, seal it, and freeze it.

it ends up being one big fish ice-block. then when you want to eat it, stick it in the fridge the night before so it thaws slowly.

on an entirely different note, i do this with off cuts too in summer. just chuck all the shit bits (raw only!) in a tupperware full of water and freeze it. then on a really hot day, give it to the dogs! they have a cool, tasty toy to chomp on for about half an hour!

Thanks for listening, tune in next week when we talk about giving your cat a pill... Signed , Dr Harry Cooper!!

:074:

Edited by fishy fingers