" Bite Leader " ?

bluefin

Im sure Im not the first to think of this, but I haven't seen it spoken about before.I'm having problems with being bitten off by what I think is large flathead. It's frustrating not only to loose a big fish, but also to loose a $20 lure every time. It usually happens in shallow water ,close to the bank, out of a boat, on Samaki Viblicous, and Cranka Crab lures. The fish will often run for the nearest fallen tree then stay deep under the boat where the line breaks. I have used from 4lb 8lb and 10 lb line which casts well but wears through. I tried 16lb but it cut down the casting distance, and I failed to hook anything big on it. What I am now thinking of is using 8lb trace with a 16 lb "bite leader " about 200 m/m long tied onto a clip and onto the lure. Any thoughts ? Can't harm to try it.

Regards Howard.

I know you said shallow water but I'm thinking tailor? I would try unweighted 1/0 gang with pillies. Cast and slowly roll them back to the boat. If they are flatty they will still hit them and if they're tailor you will increase your chance of a hook up! Just a thought!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Im using 8 lb braid and specifically targeting Bream and Flathead along the waters edge between fallen trees, rocks ect, with lures. The idea of the heavier trace on the end is to maintain casting distance but not get bitten off.

I think Scratchie's right. Most likely tailor biting your lures off, unlikely to be Flathead. What sort of leader material are you using? 8lb leader should be enough to land most fish and if it's reasonable quality, it shouldn't put fish off.

Sometimes this happens to me when fishing for flathead, its when they shake their head from side to side when you have vertical pressure on them.

I found backing the drag off when lifting the fish helped (although i still had leader rub). If its burying you under trees could be big bream or if your up north, small jack maybe?

If it were tailor, you might have some damaged plastics which would give it away straight up.

im not sure what bite leader is, but if it isnt supple, the movement you impart on your lure will be severely compromised.

Can only try it. I will also try backing off the drag, may try using the electric to change the angle on the fish also. I really want to get a look at what they are. Pred-Ator Im thinking of tying a heavier leader at the end of the 8lb flurocarbon leader, then onto the lure . that way I have a heavier line in the fishes mouth but still have a light leader to cast.

Guest Guest123456789

Bluefin on a side note saltwater vibes (the samaki). Have you tried them? I'm thinking one could imitate an Australian herring.