What herbs do you use with fish

Greyfox

What herbs do we all use when cooking fish.

My favourite go to herb for fish is Corinader, I use this with whole fish (BBQ, baked, steamed) in the stomach cavity , just fill it up with this wonder herb add a squeese of lime and that is it.

When BBQing fish I sometimes cut the skin with 3 - 4 knife cuts thru the skin and add common mint to these cuts

Corinader has such a fresh taste, it is also good with a sweet chillie sauce.

When I cook fillets I sometimes use thyme sparingly as it can have a strong flavour.

I grow my own herbs so they are always and close by, I have tried pineapple sage with baked fish but was not impressed by this combination.

Guest Guest123456789

I'm too tight to buy fresh herbs and too lazy to grow them either. The Italian dried mixed herbs in a flour mix for a batter works a treat I reckon.

Not really a herb but I normally use lemons and always use the fine shredder to grate lemon zest. Great for kids as they get the lemon flavour without the sour flavour.

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Allan

I did a course about 5 years ago with Ian 'Herbie' Hemphill. He sells the herbies spice brand you may have seen. If you're into herbs and you haven't checked out his site already I recommend you have a look.

Www.herbies.com.au

He no longer runs the spice appreciation courses but you can buy on DVD. He introduced my wife and I to some amazing herbs and spices, like panch phora, lemon myrtle and juniper berries.

Saffron he gave a great tip to tell if it's fake or not (which most of it in supermarkets is). Put a small amount in a glass of water, the fake stuff is made of gelatine and will begin to dissolve and turn a yellow colour. The real stuff turns the water pink.

Green cardamon is an amazing fresh basil substitute ground (smells and tastes similiar and a lot more cost effective).

Hope this helps,

Luke

Hi Allan

I did a course about 5 years ago with Ian 'Herbie' Hemphill. He sells the herbies spice brand you may have seen. If you're into herbs and you haven't checked out his site already I recommend you have a look.

Www.herbies.com.au

He no longer runs the spice appreciation courses but you can buy on DVD. He introduced my wife and I to some amazing herbs and spices, like panch phora, lemon myrtle and juniper berries.

Saffron he gave a great tip to tell if it's fake or not (which most of it in supermarkets is). Put a small amount in a glass of water, the fake stuff is made of gelatine and will begin to dissolve and turn a yellow colour. The real stuff turns the water pink.

Green cardamon is an amazing fresh basil substitute ground (smells and tastes similiar and a lot more cost effective).

Hope this helps,

Luke[/quote

Thanks mate , will have a look, yeah I have grown herbs ever since I was knee high to a grass hopper, I have chooks too and they love grazing on the herbs.

• 8 months later...

Depends on how I cook it. Steamed in a banana leaf it goes great with coriander and Thai basil (very different to Italian basil) with a dressing I make using fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, palm sugar, chilli and garlic.

for stronger tasting fish like blackfish I like to cook them with a spice paste I make called Harissa, which is Moroccan, and made up of dried chillies, fresh coriander, coriander seed, garlic, lemon, roast capsicum, and rosewater. I'm a qualified chef and have an addiction to cooking seafood. Feel free to ask for any recipes/tips. 

Cheers

Guest Guest123456789
11 hours ago, Big Yella said:

Depends on how I cook it. Steamed in a banana leaf it goes great with coriander and Thai basil (very different to Italian basil) with a dressing I make using fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, palm sugar, chilli and garlic.

for stronger tasting fish like blackfish I like to cook them with a spice paste I make called Harissa, which is Moroccan, and made up of dried chillies, fresh coriander, coriander seed, garlic, lemon, roast capsicum, and rosewater. I'm a qualified chef and have an addiction to cooking seafood. Feel free to ask for any recipes/tips. 

Cheers

Great to hear. By all means feel free to share your recipes in this section I bet you have some great ones. Even just the Harissa paste recipe would be good to know.

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Great to hear. By all means feel free to share your recipes in this section I bet you have some great ones. Even just the Harissa paste recipe would be good to know.

Awesome mate, I'll start posting recipes and photos as soon as I have the time.

• 1 year later...

Lots of great feedback so far so I'll at my 2c from 2 perspectives, someone who loves to eat his own catch & also from someone who is a professional chef.

Firstly I agree in essence that Fish/seafood is best appreciated with as little as possible done to it & yet as humans we also like to get away from the norm & start playing with flavours & also textures that can be changed by also introducing processes & techniques.

More often than not when I'm eating at home for example its usually fairly plain pan fried fish with just a bit of butter near the end, some lemon zest & a squeeze of juice, chopped parsley, sea salt & cracked pepper & that's it, usually a real mayonnaise based sauce on the side, occasionally some baby capers as well.   

There is also nothing better than a fresh cooked & peeled chilled  prawn or a fresh shucked oyster with just a squeeze of lemon & some cocktail sauce on the side.

Its really each to their own but I find when people are paying for what's being put in front of them then they tend to expect more to be done to it &

I do like things like dried lemon myrtle but be aware they need to be used sparingly as they can be quite potent & over powering, there is a slow cooked dish I do with a whole fillet of salmon or ocean trout for buffets which is rubbed on the flesh side with olive oil then dusted with lemon myrtle, sea salt, fresh dill & parley, slow cooked in a low oven with a core temperature of 48-50c(so the protein is not cooked or set!) then chilled.  Its amazing because you get the initial flavour from the herb crust then the flavour from the underlying flesh & nice natural oils of the fish take over.  

I also love dishes like pan fried scallops with black pudding, apple & radish salad & a nice vinaigrette or lobster mousseline with celeriac puree, 

I totally enjoy super fresh raw fish with some nice dressings on the side or things like my own salt/sugar & vodka cured fish, sliced thinly after curing the whole fillets with some nice baby salad leaves, pan fried trevalla with macadamia & lemon thyme crust & pea puree,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The list is endless, that's the thing about food in general, the possibilities are endless & its about using your imagination...……………………………………………...if you choose to or not!

OOpps I digress ?, mainly the softer fresh herbs tend marry better with seafood but in the end its whatever works for you, just treat it with the respect it deserves ☺️

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Not Herb related But Good. When camping and catching Bream or Trout, I would fill the gut cavity with tomato and onion, Wrap in Alfoil than on the fire.   A great meal with potatoes in the coals  also.