Patience paying off, for now

As a follow up to my reports from the Murrumbidgee relating to very low water I'm formulating this report of recent events. Water levels are still low but (today) I checked out the boat ramp and reckon that I could launch the boat again. How far I could travel is still subjective and if it's not too far, the fishing will be ordinary , at best. So there's reason for optimism.

I have been out 3 times in the past 10 days and caught fish each time...a few Carp and 7 Murray Cod to 52 cms. I have been exploring an area called Yanco Creek which seems to have a slightly better water level than the river. This is very satisfying to me, finding new spots and actually catching a few fish at them. True I haven't got any big ones (yet) but I feel that persistence will pay off, eventually.

Today I went out just after sun up and nearly cleaned a few 'roos up when heading into the sun. Lucky escape! The weather was cool as I put the shrimp net in and loaded 1 rod with cheese and the other with dead shrimp. A bite almost immediately saw me striking and missing. When I reeled in I noticed that the shrimps heads had been taken but no interest in the entire shrimp. I decided to put the shrimps on head first (I usually go tail first and come out at the head). This paid immediate dividend with a small Cod coming ashore. No interest whatsoever in the cheese and very few decent bites on the shrimps. I persevered for a while then decided to chuck a spinnerbait around and came up with a small Cod on a black/purple twin Colorado blade.

I moved spots quite a few times and found some very promising spots for future exploration...although the steep banks will undoubtedly present a slight problem, especially if I do hook a big one.

I did have 1 unusual catch. The bite was like a turtle and when I reeled in I found a mussel which had engulfed my shrimps and closed it's shell around the hook. Hope to have more positive feedback in the next few weeks. Cheers.post-20708-0-04560900-1461667085_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-98498900-1461667163_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-76739300-1461667233_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-95605600-1461667310_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-96180800-1461667381_thumb.jpg

Good on you for persevering! It's always good to explore new areas too and keep them in the memory bank. Always great to read your posts Neil. Your fishing spots are a lot different to mine! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie. Wherever we fish we're faced with similar challenges...locating the fish and then trying to catch them. I think there's only 1 way to get good at it and that's to get out there and get serious about the task in hand. I guess that's one of the things which make it such an interesting sport. Another is that it's forever changing and that, too, keeps us on our toes. Cheers.

Hi Neil,

Another interesting report. Just look at those lovely snags!

No one can fault you in the perseverance department.

Love the pictures too Neil.

Cheers

Jim

Many thanks Jim. I really enjoy taking photos of "fishy areas" that I find. Sort of helps to cement the potential in my mind, for when I visit next time. Cheers.

UPDATE: As mentioned in my previous report the boat ramp looked ok to launch the boat, so I got all the gear ready and charged the battery for the electric motor. I knew from previous experiences that heading upstream would limit my options (with the shallow water). No problems launching and I headed downstream. I had a new purple Assassin spinnerbait to try out so it went on the main baitcaster set up. The water was shallow but I managed to go over a km downstream from the ramp, hitting the occasional submerged stump with the Yamaha...No problem as I was going very slowly. There was virtually no flow happening so it was real easy nipping in and out of the stumps. I only caught 2 Cod 60 and 45 cms (both released), but had a ton of excitement with Cod and Yellowbelly hitting the spinnerbait but not hooking up. One hit 4 times, the last one on the surface...each time failing to connect with the hook. One of the misses was from a huge Cod which broke the surface in its pursuit of the spinnerbait. The surface "boil" from its tail was spectacular.

During the trip back to the ramp I managed to hit submerged stumps on 6 occasions...no damage done as I was intentionally going slow.

All in all a successful expedition into some new territory, which I will definitely be visiting again, real soon. Neil

Rah, on 27 Apr 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Well done Neil.

Got to love exploring a new spot.

Here's hoping the water level keeps rising.

Cheers

Tara

Thanks Tara. The water level is unlikely to rise until after Winter because there's little need for irrigation water during Winter. I won't mind too much if I can have days like today, while the water levels are down. Cheers, Neil.