Cooking Mud Crab

bullfrog

How long would you suggest cooking a 1.1kg mud crab for?, also should it be taken out of the water immediately & plunged into cold water or left to cool gradually?

Thanks in advance

G'day Bullfrog,

I have never cooked a muddie but the NT Fisheries have the following method on their website.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Pete.

Cooking Mud Crabs

Mud crabs are often boiled whole and they should be killed beforehand by chilling or piercing their central underside. Steaming them is also a popular cooking method and they should be cleaned and have their claws cracked beforehand to allow steam to penetrate and make them easier to eat. Crabs that are to be boiled should not have their claws cracked as this allows water to be absorbed into the flesh.

Whether steamed or boiled, mud crabs should be placed in a cooking pot once the water is boiling. This will usually stop the water boiling for a few minutes. Once the water is brought back to boiling point, mud crabs should be cooked for ten to twelve minutes then allowed to cool before being eaten.

Best recipe I have ever tried for crab uses a bottle of beer for two to three blue swimmers, so i would probably replace that with one bottle for a 1kg muddy, Simply crack the claws as Petes one says and then steam using beer for 12 minutes. Dont boil it flat out as it will run out of fluid. Check the meat in the claws and if it is well cooked plunge the crab into cold water to stop the cooking process.

Comes out great

Dave

Mind you I like beer more than crab so it is a hard ask to throw beer at a pot rather than a glass.LOL

Edited by davemmm

Thanks for the replies guys, I made a bit of a mistake in the timing and didn't realise that I had been boiling it for just over 17 minutes.

It was a bit overcooked and slightly mushy but still tasted great.

I'll keep a better eye on the timer next time!

cleaned and major parts torn away (ie not whole). steamed for 10min whether its forr 1 or 4 crabs. just use red vinegar with optional pepper. for me thats the best. all their natural flavour is intact and that the flavour i love of a mud crab.

a popular dish from chinese restaurants is using 5 spice. but gotta dad to know how to make it. i like it but i tend not to get crabs that has a deep frying process because resataurants could give you dead crab and you wouldn't know it.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...