Brighton/Ramsgate Land-Based fishing

DragonFish

Hi all - recently started to get serious about my fishing (Learner). As yet - no boat. One of my local spots, is the Western side of Botany Bay - the beach stretching from Brighton, down to Dolls Point.

Can anyone please advise if they have caught any decent fish from the shore here? If so, what was your preferred method (lure or bait)? And is there a specific spot I should try?

Thanks

There are a lot of undersized fish here, but, I had caught legal tarwhine there.

Last weekend I also saw a BIG dead fish floating near the rock wall, not 100% of the species, but I think it was a jewfish nearing the 1m mark. I should have taken a picture, but no camera :(

Hi all - recently started to get serious about my fishing (Learner). As yet - no boat. One of my local spots, is the Western side of Botany Bay - the beach stretching from Brighton, down to Dolls Point.

Can anyone please advise if they have caught any decent fish from the shore here? If so, what was your preferred method (lure or bait)? And is there a specific spot I should try?

Thanks

Mate, i'd be throwing soft plastics the whole way along the stretch you mentioned and you will more than likely score a few flathead!

Edited by one armed fisho

I used to live down there and would walk down to the beach and flick plastics for the fatties usually get 3-4 a session and there are lots of small under sized ones . The best lure was 5 inch gulp in pearl white give it a go

Will have to try for Flatties then! So far have used prawns for Bream without much luck (best was 26cm), and tried worms for whiting. One would think with a sandy beach down there the whiting would bite - but it seems to be a little weedy.

Also heard some reports (or maybe I read it somewhere) that tailor will take on a speedy metal lure retrieve. But am thinking that's more an option for the boat-based angler down that way.

Hi there,

Yes there are lots of under size fish along that stretch but if you stick at you will come across some better ones. I got a 75cm flattie and a 42cm blackfish there about three weeks ago both on yabbies :wacko:. Pulled the luderick from a big submerged log. I have caught a few fish on plastics but I find that if I use a fairly large bibbed hard body I get better fish. Wind it fast till you feel it dig into the sand, then let it float up a little, wind fast etc etc,, I think you get a bigger "puff" of sand than you do with SP's and the flathead love it.

Good luck

alasdair

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dragonfish,

I was down on Lady Robinson Beach (That's what the beach is called)on Easter Sunday morning. Got there about 8am and parked in the car park opposite Scarborough St. Walked over the the rock wall there and started throwing an imitation bloodworm in orange. At the time, there was next to no breeze. I only clambered along the wall until I got about 5 metres behind the shore break. The south side of the rock wall was not producing, so I turned around and started casting over thowards the baths. The first two flatties were about 25 and 30 cm. The third and last one came in at 45cm. All in 20 minutes, so not too tacky. After that a nor'easter picked up and the bite shut down. That was my first time down there, as well. But it won't be my last.

post-22908-093897300 1334060773_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dragonfish,

I was down on Lady Robinson Beach (That's what the beach is called)on Easter Sunday morning. Got there about 8am and parked in the car park opposite Scarborough St. Walked over the the rock wall there and started throwing an imitation bloodworm in orange. At the time, there was next to no breeze. I only clambered along the wall until I got about 5 metres behind the shore break. The south side of the rock wall was not producing, so I turned around and started casting over thowards the baths. The first two flatties were about 25 and 30 cm. The third and last one came in at 45cm. All in 20 minutes, so not too tacky. After that a nor'easter picked up and the bite shut down. That was my first time down there, as well. But it won't be my last.

Nice one GreyNurse! You have inspired me to get back down there. Have been stuck at home working in the backyard.... but with the project now done - it's time to fish! I am more than just a little worried though about the impact of last week's rains on the bite of the fish....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey mate,

I fish down at Dolls Pt. fairly regularly and have had a bit of success. Myself and fellow Raider Don_ have both caught some nice whiting (biggest being 47cm :thumbup: ) and a couple Salmon and a couple big Tailor. Last week we went down for a couple hours and got 6 Whiting all between 35 - 43cm . We've been using live worms for the Whiting and Squid strips for the Salmon/Tailor.

Patience is the biggest part! haha it takes a few goes, but eventually you get to the bigger Whiting etc. (after catching many undersized ones haha)

Best of luck! :1fishing1: