How can I safely remove acrylic paint from plastic yak?

quochuy

Hi all

I just sold my old El Cheapo 2.7m kayak and bought a second hand RTM Kayak Tempo (aka Scupper Pro) for $300. From all the readings it seems to be an excellent kayak and from my first tests it seems to really is, so I'm really happy with it.

Now the previous owner did a great paint job on it converting the orange/yellow original color to a green/black camouflage one. He used acrylic paint. Since it has been done a while ago the paint has started to peel off revealing the real color underneath. So sooner or later I will need to do something to remove the paint off.

Having never done it before I was wondering what is the safest and effective solution to remove acrylic paint from the yak without damaging the plastic. At home I currently have some methylated spirit and mineral turpentine. Are they OK?

post-31714-14384846973201_thumb.jpg

Thank you

Huy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest 4myson

There's a mild paint stripper Avialable that panel beaters use to remove paint off plastic bumper bars ( most paint & panel supplies carry it ). But it's very messy & Toxic. Plus you'll still need to sand it once the old paint is removed to prep for new paint . I would get it bead blasted (Not sandblasted ! ) as the finish product leaves it ready for a quick wipe down & paint , No sanding required ....

There's a mild paint stripper Avialable that panel beaters use to remove paint off plastic bumper bars ( most paint & panel supplies carry it ). But it's very messy & Toxic. Plus you'll still need to sand it once the old paint is removed to prep for new paint . I would get it bead blasted (Not sandblasted ! ) as the finish product leaves it ready for a quick wipe down & paint , No sanding required ....

Could the yak be then refinished with a polyurethane protective coat? There's a company in Revesby that can do both. Just thought I would ask for Huy, as it might be what I want to do someday.

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to repaint it. Also from what I see under the peeled off paint, it seems that the yak has not been sanded off before painting. So all I want is get rid of the existing paint (when it will look messy with too many peeled off paint areas) and leave the natural kayak color:

The natural yellow/orange is more visible and that's what I want. I prefer to be visible to other vessels that invisible to both fish and crazy boat drivers.

Cheers

Edited by quochuy

Because of the plastic be really careful with any type of blasting as glass or bead will etch the surface and build up heat. You could get it ice blasted as it removes any heat issue but it would end up costing more than your purchase price. Easiest solution may be just to scuff off the loose/flakey paint and then apply another acrylic. Top coat the upper surface to get your high vis result. It will be a lot cheaper and less mess involved. Just my 2cents.