Hacking flats whiting action

nbdshroom

It's been a long time between reports, but this afternoon I had some time to go for a relaxing walk and flick along the flats at Port Hacking.

I started off using lightly weighted grub plastics but the wind proved to be too strong. It wasn't long before I switched to a Damiki blade (3.5g with stinger hooks retrofitted). The heavier weight of the blade allowed for long casts into the deeper water and minimised the effect of the howling NE winds.

A nice flathead, pinkie and then a whiting was the result.

post-25384-0-85816000-1448452906_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-53417200-1448452926_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-41298100-1448452970_thumb.jpg

It became apparent that there were hoards of whiting roaming the flats so I switched to a clear stickbait and then a surface walker which did the trick. Unfortunately I lost count of how many were caught but it was exciting seeing surface hits and fish literally shouldering each other to get a piece of the lure. Most fish fell in the 20-25 cm category.

post-25384-0-49247800-1448453225_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-73811600-1448453232_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-50783100-1448453245_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-60530000-1448453251_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-50644600-1448453239_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-33872200-1448453257_thumb.jpgpost-25384-0-73910300-1448453262_thumb.jpg

To entice the fish to bite, it was simply a matter of working the lure briskly with a high tempo. There wasn't really any need for a finesse approach at all - skipping the lure on the surface with small splashes basically caused a train of whiting to follow behind jostling for position.

Summer is almost here and it's shaping up to a cracker season of surface fishing. Till next time.

Great work Pete as always!!

What a nice way to relax and unwind by walking the flats and throwing a few lures.

That clear stickbait looks like a Shinku... great little versatile lure for that style of fishing.

Wonderful effort and thanks for sharing Pete.

All the best and keep up the fantastic work :thumbup:

Ian

Nice one mate. You did better than me. Wind was a killer. Just got a small flatty on a soft vibe and a small whiting on a sammy but dropped it at my feet. Would of been a nice afternoon if it wasn't so windy

Great stuff pete! It has been a long time between posts. Always great fun getting whiting from the surface. Hope to see another report shortly!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Jeff. Looking forward to a hot season.

It's a great way to spend a couple of hours. In fact yesterday I just spooled a new Samaki 2-6lb outfit and 1000 Symetre with 5lb braid to try the same thing Friday.

Good luck. That outfit sounds perfect for this style of fishing.

Good work with the whiting.

Are there many accessible flats to target whiting in the Hacking ?

Thanks.

Yes, plenty of flats either side of the system.

Great work Pete as always!!

What a nice way to relax and unwind by walking the flats and throwing a few lures.

That clear stickbait looks like a Shinku... great little versatile lure for that style of fishing.

Wonderful effort and thanks for sharing Pete.

All the best and keep up the fantastic work :thumbup:

Ian

Thanks Ian. It is a shinku. I'm really finding them to be very versatile. I probably would have gone straight to the surface walkers if it wasn't for the fact that I decided to give them a shot after what you said about them.

Nice one mate. You did better than me. Wind was a killer. Just got a small flatty on a soft vibe and a small whiting on a sammy but dropped it at my feet. Would of been a nice afternoon if it wasn't so windy

Thanks, good to hear you got into some action. The strong wind has some benefits however. It can help with longer casts and cause the fish be less spooky on the shallow flats.