Successful start to the Cod season

big Neil

After what seemed like an eternity, the Cod season opened yesterday and my mate Geoff and I headed to Narrandera for a day bait fishing. The weather was good (dry and not too hot) and we were well armed with a variety of bait...Big Yabbies, Shrimps, Cheese and Worms. Started off at the place where I was busted off by a big Cod the week before, whilst fishing for Yellas, on light gear. Within 10 mins we had a couple of undersize Cod and things were looking promising. Moved around a fair bit as each place came to life and then died. Ventured to a few new areas where I'd never fished before and found some very promising spots for future reference. We ended up with 18 fish for the day, a long way short of our best day, but still very happy with the result. 1 big Carp, 3 small Trout Cod, 1 Yellowbelly (keeper), 13 Cod (including 2 solid keepers of 58 cms). All up an enjoyable first day of the new Cod season. I have one of the grand kids coming down from the North Coast today and will spend a few days getting him his first Murray Cod (tomorrow and Friday). Best bait on the day was the Big Yabbies, then the cheese. Need to get some more Yabbies for Thursday.post-20708-0-53920700-1448993802_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-08873000-1448993936_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-88245600-1448994048_thumb.jpg Cheers, Big Neil.

Great first day of the new cod season Neil. 13 cod is an impressive start. This is much better than my best day with lures. Only one carp is a bit of a surprise. It is good to see that Trout Cod numbers are also improving. All in all a great start, may there be plenty more to come. Keep up these interesting reports.

Thanks guys for your encouragement. Fair dinkum I'm like a kid in a lolly shop. Can't wait to get out on the river again...tomorrow with one of the grandkids. Hope he enjoys the day. Last time I saw him he was a foot shorter and couldn't cast to save his life...kept casting into the big gum trees lol. Cheers, Neil.

Top start to the season! I always enjoy reading your reports, keep them coming. Every year I say I'd like to tick one fresh water species off the list, hopefully this will be the year haha

Edited by W4z

Top start to the season! I always enjoy reading your reports, keep them coming. Every year I say I'd like to tick one fresh water species off the list, hopefully this will be the year haha

Hope you do get to cross one off the list. I just love the river. Every day it's different but always remains serene and beautiful. Neil.