POINT 65N are they any good?

oz_brett

Hi Guys

Ive been thinking of getting a kayak but transporting it is a killer.

I dont want to go in to big $ as the boat will always be first preference the yak will be more a fitness thing with some fishing included.

to put roof racks on my ute Im looking at the best part of $1000 if not more. for that I could get a point 65n modular kayak that will break down and go in any of our cars.

Question is are they any good?

Have any of you guys had or tried them before?

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

wow 2 weeks & still no replies,

I have chose to go with convenience & buy the point65 if had of chose a normal yak I was up for $800 for roof racks on the ute B4 I even started with the cost of the Yak, with 25% off this week the Point 65 was the same price as the single piece kayak now I have the option to expand to 2 seat when I want.

Test day tomorrow will post on here my thoughts!

I'm guessing no replies as no-one has experience of them.

I've seen them at BCF and they look OK but are a very basic "shell" so you will need to do a fair bit of customisation to turn it into a fishing yak.

Hope it goes well and maybe you can do a review of this for others in a similar position to yourself.

& the result is......

Im not real happy :(

it does not paddle very strait although we managed a 6km round trip for our first outing (neither of us have done any real kayaking to call ourselves fit).

only that my son has a 4m kayak & it rides so well & thats all I have to compare with, the point65 is only 2.95m so to be fair it should be compared to a similar size yak before I criticise it.

A mid section to make it a 2 seater will bring it up to 4.16m be interesting to see how it travels then.

Brett

How is the stability compared to your sons 4m one?

Do you think it handles differently like a 4wd Hilux handles differently to a 1.1 Kia Rio ? Maybe it takes some getting used to?

the 4m was also more stable when first sat in the point 65 it felt like it was going to fall out but that feeling didn't last long at all, I was not game enough to push it too far though the water we were in looked like a bull shark breeding ground & wasn't going in.

Hows this though a kayak in the back of a Honda Civic hatch :)

post-8167-0-07028700-1416903904_thumb.jpg