Anyone buy their hooks off ebay?

chokpa

Just wondering if anyone here gets hooks (or any terminal tackle) off ebay?

The prices are pretty good, and much more convenient for me.

Yes they're not the same quality as Black Magic, Owners etc but I dont get into massive fish anyway. Plus fishing from the rocks you tend to some gear each trip.

Any recommendations on good sellers?

And a cheeky question: what is the best size gang hook for pillies? The type you get from the tackle store. #4/0?

I like the gamakatsu gang hooks that you make into gangs yourself. Much better quality than some pre made gangs I have bought, sharper, less prone to rusting up. I use about a 5/0 or 6/0 as I find they are big enough to present through larger pillies.

I haven't ordered off eBay but it can't be any worse than some online stores I have bought from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for reef and rock fishing i go to kmart, hooks aren't the best but strong and when we start getting snagged on rocks or snipped of by jackets you dont start crying over the cost

jarvis walker brand

The mustard hooks are still good quality but I don't think they sell em in Kmart anymore only big w. stay nice and sharp. I find the Kmart stuff doesn't hook up as cleanly

Mustard are solid... (and Red!) I have no issue buying them from Kmart either... certainly cheaper. I find big department stores can offer quality terminal tackle like weights and hooks - when you need more then hit a tackle store. Unfortunately I'm a sucker for a tackle store where i can very quickly spend my life savings on stuff I don't need!

If you have the patience and don't mind missing out on the tackle store experience... then EBay, Kmart, Big W are fine! I just like the tackle store experience.

I don't buy anything online. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. Buy from your local tackle store support your community, and they will be around forever, otherwise they will Slowly disappear and we will all be left with know option but to buy online and I bet you the prices will increase.

Edited by Jamestown

Actually my local tackle store has fairly competitive prices despite being a tiny store. And yes, as said, he always seems to know what is being caught and where - very helpful.

Another thing he does, is he tries to stock some cheaper lesser known brands, that he finds are good quality - which he can judge, not only by build quality and appearance, but whether he gets many returns from his customers. I bought a reel from him, brand unheard of by me, but he said he'd been stocking it for a while, and his customers were happy with them. Well, add me to the list, it's been a great reel for me too. Saved me heaps.

There's a place for both outlets when buying terminal gear. It depends on your means and access. Certainly the tackle store experience is worth more than just price of the goods one may purchase. You can get information on your proposed fising location, and feedback on the product bought. You may meet new fishing budies. Who knows, perhps a lifetime friend. And, being a "corner shop" type business, there's rarely any complaints about lack of service!

Bigger, department store models, and on line outlets are convenient, generally cheaper and serve their purpose. It comes back to that old saying, buy what you can afford. After all, it's the fisherman that ultimately catches the fish.

I'd have to say and agree with other comments, support your local tackle store, without them you won't have fresh bait etc. Yes sometimes it is cheaper online or the big chain stores but without the little fella you will not have specialty gear etc. Look what happened to Bias Boating, that place was great for specialty stuff.

There is room for both..

If I could place an online order with a local tackle shop at decent prices then I gladly would. Nothing stopping them from listing their goods on eBay.

But I wont go out of my way to drive to a tackleshop to buy a packet of hooks. I've frequented the *********** in sydney cbd a few times but sometimes its just easier to put an order through on the train home and collect an envelope.

I don't buy anything online. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. Buy from your local tackle store support your community, and they will be around forever, otherwise they will Slowly disappear and we will all be left with know option but to buy online and I bet you the prices will increase.

i have to buy from a local at Narellan about 35 min drive. Will support him all the way before the super guy's sometimes a few buks more. Who cares a good chat.long live the small fishing store

I find most places if you start mentioning online prices, they tend to match anyway - usually plus the freight the online shops tack on. The online shipping as well tends to be a bit of a crock - I ordered a small order of swivels and hooks from an online place and I expected to get a cheaper shipping cost as it would have fit in a standard envelope. Nope - got the large express satchel loaded down with their 1kg catalog. Still, these swivels I could not find elsewhere so its the trade off I suppose.

Plus the advice and friendly chats at the local shop are good, where they have been on, tips on using my gear - plus they tolerate my endless window shopping while I pontificate a new combo.