Hairtail Social

BigRod

What on earth are you going to do if you catch a big one? Have you looked at the teeth on those fish? Did you know they are coated with an anti coagulant so if you get bitten you just keep bleeding. Good luck with that.

Common guys, no sense of adventure haha. It would be a challenge, though most fish over 750mm are in the yak.

Unless you're in rods battletank. That PA could hold all the hairtail in the world, am i right rod?

So rod, did you venture north?

its this weekend champ

Where you thinking of launching from and where you plan to fish?

was thinking about launching from somewhere near cottage tree point

Hey Rod, after much, much deliberation - I've only had a kayak since Xmas and am not sure I've got warm clothes sufficiently sorted for this - I'm keen for Sat night,. Will pm you my phone number.

On the question of where to put in -

Cottage Point: the only possibility there is through the yacht club. I've never had a close look at that so, dunno how trespassy that's going to be feel. It is, anyway, only a 15 minute detour on the way to the two next best put-ins.

Illawong Bay: if you have a yak that can be lifted over a fence and don't mind launching over a couple of rocks, this is a pretty good launch. I've fished Jerusalem Bay during the day a couple of times and this is my preferred. The park pay station is here. I don't know if you can park short of it and avoid payment.

Akuna Bay baot ramp: probably the best if you want easy access to the water. I think Brooklyn / Parsley Bay ramp (still closed, I believe) is closer but Coal and Candle Creek is well protected from wind and gets very little chop. It is the nicer, easier trek. In fact, at night, when it's calm it's pretty beautiful to travel in the dark and quiet. Akuna Bay is in the park, you definitely have to pay entry.

Hey Krause,

Sat is the only night I can make it. A shame, a few kayaks would be really good. Could be a lonely 'social', bobbing around out there, in the dark, surrounded be houseboats of relatively warmer people ....

i've bought some gang hook and a thremos, dug in the cupboards for every bit of thermal clothing I can find, and watched and wondered about the weather intensely.

no gates get locked. the marina at Akuna Bay is in use all night. Coattage Point is not in the park, it's a regular suburb (in an awesome spot)

I can't see myself staying too much past 10. That'd be a good 4 hours of dark and steadily growing cold..... Unless the fishing is really good, it could feel like a long 4 hours?

I haven't properly thought it over yet - got to check the Social thread, see what happens there - but I kinda figured getting out and fishing from midday for other stuff - there's been salmon all through that section, which I really like on a light line - before settling down for as much of the dark as feels managable, might be an okay plan. I suppose many of the boats go over-night and over the whole weekend but, no camping in the park rules that out for kayaks

looks like 10pm is the magic number.

there's a rules mailout that comes once you've added your name to the Social thread. It says:

"No hairtail will be measured after 10pm each night or before 8am"

HenryR and Krause it was great to meet you guys last night.

You have achieved legend status appearing at Jerusalem Bay in your kayaks. Krause caught a hairtail and did you fishraider kayak boys proud

Members check out the social live report thread for pics and another one soon to be made on the finer details of the social http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=81290

• 3 weeks later...

Ta, an award and, I see, a commemorative poem - http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=81503 - too much ! thanks :)

was, thankfully (cold not as unsurvivable as you might imagine) an excellent evening and really good to meet a few people. I feel like I've got unfinished business with the hairtail. there's at least one out there, still, with my name on it. I'll be back next year for sure.