Old Rod Project

Hi all,

I'm new here, and only recently getting into fishing since many years ago when my dad used to take me to the jetty.

Not long ago my father in law gave me an old single piece beach rod, which needs some repair, and I'm considering getting into it as a fun project to learn about rod basics.

The rod is currently 3.3m, with a broken tip (yes, I hear the gasp), it'll never be a great rod, just a fun beach blaster. It will also need the grips re-done, and the guides re-strung.

I've never owned anything more than small estuary rods before, and I would like to hear some experienced minds share their wisdom.

It also doesn't have a reel, and I don't know how to tell if it is alvey potential - if possible, I'd like an easy rod that can handle the sand etc. Although, I've never used an alvey before.

In my mind I'd be hoping for a salmon/tailor, maybe small shark or small mulloway if I'm lucky.

How much will the shortened tip matter?

When I re-strung the guides, how much will the distances between matter?

Should I put a tip guide straight on the end, or add some extension?

Do I need a heat gun to re-do the grip?

Is there any coating that this will need over the length for protection?

Many thanks for any info to my many questions and long winded post.

Cheers.

Hi Vanders and welcome to the site. That rod is built to take a overhead type reel and not suitable for a Alvey. Alvey reels need a low seat and need much larger feeder guides ( closest to the reel ) spacing of guides is pretty important and should be placed along the length of the rod so that when the rod is bent to it's fighting capacity the line stays off the rod ( for overheads ), the more the better in most cases. looks like there has never been any resin holding the threads on so should be easy to remove them to get a blank rod to start with.

Measure the spacings as they are and replace with new bindings at same spacings. check the old guides to make sure the bakolite hasn't cracked before using them.

Try and keep the backbone of the rod level with the guides ( you will need to learn lots more about rod building to do it right. ).

If you need advise PM me or simply ask more questions.

Cheers Frank