Beach fishing in Wollongong

niko123456

g'day guys, hope this is the right forum to ask.

I'm only new to fishing and for various reasons I'm diving straight into surf fishing.

I've bought a 12 ft rod and a bit of tackle and attempted to fish at both high tide and low tide, and "high feeding activity" according to solunar theory etc.. the only thing I haven't managed is a high tide at sunset or dawn.

So maybe I need to do that.. but I definitely haven't caught anything yet! I'm putting it down to a combination of rubbish casting technique (it feels like I'm never getting it out far enough), and probably a bunch of other silly mistakes too. Oh, and so far I've only attempted frozen pilchards halved onto a single hook, and whole pilchards on a gang hook.

does anyone want to try and point me in the right direction? I enjoy fishing, and I'm not too bothered I haven't caught anything, but I'm still pretty keen to finally land something..

sometimes I wonder if beach fishing was really the best idea to get started. :(

G'dat Nico and welcome to Fishraider. Fishing isn't the easiest of sports but if you do the right thing ,in the right place, when the fish are there and feeding...you will catch something. I suspect you are fishing in the wrong place and not using berley. Here's what to do. Find a place where you can look out to sea and look for where there's a break in the waves coming into the beach. The break in the waves is there because the water rises and creates waves when it hits shallows. Therefore where ther's a break it will be a bit deeper. These areas are known as gutters and are where the fish feed when the tide is coming in. Often they are not far out from where the water is reaching up the beach, so you don't have to cast far.

When you find a gutter cast into it with enough weight to hold bottom. The baits you are using are ideal. Once you have cast in, cut a pilchard into about 4 pieces and throw them (one at a time) into the wash. This will attract the fish into the area where you're fishing. Don't throw TOO MANY in, just 1 every minute or so (about 10 all up). Good luck, I'm sure you'll catch some soon. Cheers.

Gday Neil, thanks for that. Burley is something I haven't tried so I'll definitely give that a go. I'll have to do some more research on finding a gutter.. it's a term I hear a lot but to be honest I still don't "get it".

This weekend I've got a couple of evenings of high tide and sunset so fingers crossed I find time to get out!

Hey Niko, if you haven't already checked out beach fishing (Australia) on Youtube, I suggest that you check out those videos.There is some good ones by BCF, #%$%^&(* and Alex Bellissimo. Also some videos show you how to read a beach (finding a gutter etc). My mates and I usually fish early morning mainly using whole pilchards on ganged hooks. Lately, we started to use half pillies on single hook 1/0 or 2/0 as we got bites but couldn't hookup to the Tailors. Did fish once at Wollongong but the sea was very flat and no wind, ended up catching nothing. Try Werri Beach at Gerringong. Have had heaps of Aussie Salmon there on overcast/ slightly rainy mornings...one of the locals there told us that it fires up in the arvo as well. Also for bait try using Squid (Lund's brand) on single hook. Hope this info helps bro.

Edited by MadSnapper1980

Hey Niko, if you haven't already checked out beach fishing (Australia) on Youtube, I suggest that you check out those videos.There is some good ones by BCF, #%$%^&(* and Alex Bellissimo. Also some videos show you how to read a beach (finding a gutter etc). My mates and I usually fish early morning mainly using whole pilchards on ganged hooks. Lately, we started to use half pillies on single hook 1/0 or 2/0 as we got bites but couldn't hookup to the Tailors. Did fish once at Wollongong but the sea was very flat and no wind, ended up catching nothing. Try Werri Beach at Gerringong. Have had heaps of Aussie Salmon there on overcast/ slightly rainy mornings...one of the locals there told us that it fires up in the arvo as well. Also for bait try using Squid (Lund's brand) on single hook. Hope this info helps bro.

thanks mate - great advice - I'll get stuck in. I'm not sure about the wild characters after BCF? Was that the board software censoring something? Either way plenty to get me started.

thanks mate - great advice - I'll get stuck in. I'm not sure about the wild characters after BCF? Was that the board software censoring something? Either way plenty to get me started.

Get a pair of polarised glasses, look down at the beach with glasses on, find the darker water, find one close enough to cast into without throwing out your shoulder. Plant your rod and burley occasionally as you sit back with a hot cuppa waiting for that beautiful sound we all crave to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk