Fishing In Or Around Avoca

camotec

Anyone fishing in or around Avoca over the week of the 28th Feb - 6th March wanting company of a newbie fisherman (I will make anyone look good) whether by boat or bank, it does not matter I am keen to fish and learn.

Cheers

Ben

I will most likely have a fishing session or 2 with Ray, depending on when/where is is fishing I dont want to encroach on his own time but I will give him a call when I am up there and hopefully we can catch up. I am super excited to go.

I will be up in Avoca on the 28th so I might go for a fish late afternoon around 5-6pm. maybe some beach action and then when I wonder why I am not catching any fish I will contact Ray to help hook me up on the locals

go straight to the rocks on the right of the beach :) always fish there just be safe and have cleats etc.. i got 8 luderick there on sunday :) on the weed that was on the rocks there too but generally the rocks at avoca beach arnt "too" bad as its pretty flat and lots of room just careful when it gets choppy :) also spinning for bonito from these rocks works a treat too or you can fish with a float and ganged pillies i prefer the spinning mainly though the bonnies have slowed down a fair bit though i didnt see that many getting landed a fellow raider got a nice 60+cm model + a watsons leaping bonito as well few salmon around as well early in morning and late at night as well as tailor with those salmon. the beaches or sandy areas will see you some flathead i would say but the rock section would be the more "action packed" fishing but RayR will obviously know more about the area :P

Ray mentioned the rocks but being that I am only very new to fishing I want to keep things simple and a non dangerous as possible as my 2 year old son will be around. I will for the most part be mostly fishing alone too so if I am going to become fish bait I would prefer I did it where other people can see lol.

But if its a calm day and Ray is around and feeling like a fish off the rocks

otherwise Beach and estuary it is for me.

Beach will suit me fine as I can chill out in the early morning and relax in the sun or catch a sunset and maybe a fish or 2 in the evening

G'day mate I've only just signed up to this but I've been fishing Avoca rocks for the past 20years and the fishing is no where as good as it used to be but still ok. Just be careful, seen a lot people get washed in and even on calm days slip in. Just remember Ray will save him self 1St.. haha. Mate a good spot is the haven at Terrigal only 5min away,safe for the kids and you can fish off the sand. Buy a few 10g lures 6lb braid or line and fish the right hand side of the ramp, little tuna - Leadies, great fun. Go on Sunday and watch the other guys and then head down during the week when the crowds arn't there. Have fun might see you round next week. Cheers Matt

Hi, went over to Avoca south part of beach on the 27/02/2010 at night time and there was no catch at all. Only a few small taylors. But when it hit Sunday Morning, Bonito's were being pulled in crazy. Raiders using all sorts of techniques: pilchards, luers, fly bait on floaties.

I caught around 5 decent size around the 30 to 40cm mark. Others around me were catching non-stop. Morning Sunrise was when they were biting, apart from fishers reeling in bonitos, didn't see any other sorts come.

Be careful of the waves especially if the tide is coming in, and wear cleates as its quiet slippery near the edge.

Other than that, have fun!!!

Hi Guys & Gals,

Back from my holiday on the Central Coast. I will be posting a wrap up in the fishing reports forum shortly, with pics.

I had a great time and thanks to everyone who helped me out, especially Ray, even though we unfortunately did not meet he provided plenty of information and tips over the phone and also a relisation of noobness on my part (he was a very busy man this past week).

Next time I am up there (maybe for a fishing weekend), I am sure we will catch up and have a few brews.

Cheers

Ben