Flicking at port Stephens!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

With all the big boats heading offshore and being presented beautiful conditions, I thought I'd grab the young fella from work and hit the bay. The target for today was to bring home a feed of flatty, as we haven't targeted them for a while.

So we set out from soldiers point ramp at 9am and set a plan of fame cove, north arm cove and Wanda headland.

Well the first spot didn't produce so we headed over to north arm cove. No bait on board, just sp's and we begin our drift. I had a couple of touches but no hook up and the jnr says "dad I'm on but I don't think it's that big". I wind in and grab the net as he plays the fish, then as it gets closer to the boat the fish seems to be growing with every wind. We finally get sight of it and I'm calling it for 80cm+ and them the tension begins. 3 failed attemps on my behalf as the fish takes line at will when it sees the boat then ping!!!! We were both devasted but it was going to be released anyway, so no stress lets keep going!

Next, I'm on and same call again, "only small" until it gets closer and it's growing all the time. We finally netted one and it was a healthy 55cm Flatty and one for the table.

post-24974-0-64584600-1425177898_thumb.jpg

We dropped a few more after that as they were more mouthing the lure than whacking it. So we moved on to Wanda headland and I'm first on but once again they weren't hitting it hard and I failed to set the hook. Then I get the call from jnr that he's on and no net failure this time and in comes the second around the same size!

post-24974-0-07327500-1425178278_thumb.jpg

We picked up two more for the table and them released the rest that we caught.

I also noted that when we seem to target flatties on sp's in the bay, there is very little bycatch. The lure of choice was a 100mm silver fox and 80mm bloodworm wriggler both on a 1/8th jighead.

Looking forward to tonight's dinner!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well done team scratch, I had an hour flicking around plastics in the georges this morn and same thing they were just nudging the plastics, until I changed to a blade and hooked up 3 legals on 6 casts.... That's until the jet skis started for the day! So I was off?

Keep some flatys for me , hopefully get up there again in A couple of weeks. Great part of the world !

Well done team scratch, I had an hour flicking around plastics in the georges this morn and same thing they were just nudging the plastics, until I changed to a blade and hooked up 3 legals on 6 casts.... That's until the jet skis started for the day! So I was off?

Keep some flatys for me , hopefully get up there again in A couple of weeks. Great part of the world !

Cheers ribs! We'll try and catch up next te your here! Might even show you a few of my flatty spots! :)

Good work there Scratchie.

Even though I am on the slow drive with the caravan towards W.A., I will be keeping tabs on what is happening on the east coast :sun:

Oh yowie! Please don't wipe out the west coast. I haven't been there yet! Lol :)

Guest no one

My old man did exactly the same once... Would have been the biggest fish I would have caught, he missed the net and snapped the line - didn't forgive him for years

Will do mate, my biggest flaties were all from shoal bay from the stones without a net, the young fella and I will do all the flicking so you can improve on your netting skills! ? lol.....if you can find me 75+cm I'll be on my way up in a flash....! I know they are there!

Good to see some nice fish in the bay, hoping our new boat arrives in the next week or so. Then will be seeing what we can find in the bay. It will be interesting as have never fished the bay itself, mainly been land based for a long time.

Good to see some nice fish in the bay, hoping our new boat arrives in the next week or so. Then will be seeing what we can find in the bay. It will be interesting as have never fished the bay itself, mainly been land based for a long time.

Are you local tassie? I can help you with a few spots if you like?

Thank you, i live in Port Stephens and at this stage , we get our boat at the end of next week, a new quinnie 420 renegade sc, Am looking forward to fishing the bay plus picking up some crabs from the Tilligery creek.

Thank you, i live in Port Stephens and at this stage , we get our boat at the end of next week, a new quinnie 420 renegade sc, Am looking forward to fishing the bay plus picking up some crabs from the Tilligery creek.

Good stuff mate! Great to see another local on fishraider. If you need any info, let me know!