Removing a seat from the tinny?

Onajewagain

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice. I have a Brooker 12ft tinny with three bench seats, would it make any difference if I took the middle seat out? Is there any structural qualities in the seat itself?

I've attached a few pics for a looksy.5c58e2f0147f9ded188af12c89a023ff.jpga6f0e35719d8aca88c7233e0b5a67a64.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That middle seat would be there to stop the middle of the boat folding in on itself.

The thwarts/seats on tinnys provide the structual strength/ridgidity needed to support the sides of the boat from caving in,so do the ribs to an extent.

I would leave it alone and perhaps build a casting platform as so many others have done over the years for the added bonus of a flat floor and a lot more storage.

If you do decide to remove bear in mind you will more than likely need to add extra bracing to make up for what you removed.

Cheers.

My neighbour simply cut out an area within the top of the seat and dropped in a live bait tank and plumbed it all in. Looked pretty good and made that area a lot more useful.

J

Yep, probably what I'll do. Just starting to strip it all back for paint, then the floor/casting deck will go in with a bait tank and esky in the middle seat, and storage hatches in between the seats and up the nose. I'll put the pics up when I finish, should be a month or so.

plus it already has those ribs in it next to the seat so I think it should be ok..my boat has two bench seats with ribs in the middle and it hasn't collapsed it on its self yet..

I don't think it would collapse as such, but certainly would be weaker.

My neighbour simply cut out an area within the top of the seat and dropped in a live bait tank and plumbed it all in. Looked pretty good and made that area a lot more useful.

J

I cut mine out and lided it to store my gear.

I did weld in bracing and add full underfloor floatation to make up for quintrex,s crappy effort.

When it's closed you could hide a dead body in there and nobody would know its there.

Cheers.

post-20199-0-66015700-1422534423_thumb.jpg

post-20199-0-66203900-1422534458_thumb.jpg

post-20199-0-99099400-1422534480_thumb.jpg

post-20199-0-96537500-1422534509_thumb.jpg

That looks awesome! I'm not going that far with it, my seats aren't wide enough to gain that much storage, so a small prefab bait tank on one side and a hatch with a lift out tray I'll use for an esky/catch box on the other side. I figure the floatation in the seat will give enough insulation to get me through a fishing trip, then it's just hatches in the casting deck into the hull for storage. The floatation I remove will go into the bottom somewhere.