New Shimano/Wilson stand up rods

Has anyone on FR tried any of the new stand up rods by Shimano or Wilson.(Tiagra Ultra 50/80 or Wilson RLFVGS24 Venom Game 24kg)

I was looking at getting a new 24kg stick so if anyone has used one or both I'd love to hear any pos/neg opinions on them.

Cheers

I've seen the Tiagra Ultra in the flesh - great looking rod! it has new ALPS rollers that are recessed into their frames. Which means you can run braid through them as they can't get jammed down the side.

If I had some spare cash I'd grab one but the fiscally responsible person i'm in a relationship with told me no.

Guest 4myson

Mate , your looking at the BEST of The BEST . I'm Actually getting the same combo TIAGRA 50 WLRS & VENOM 24kg stick , AWESOME COMBO !!! Yet to get it Christened with a nice TUNA....LOL....

Cheers for the replies I had to go to Sydney because none of my locals had them & the Ultras were on back order (Nov).

The Wilson Venom looked great but I couldn't justify $1400+ when the Tiagra Ultra was less than half the price at$640 with a similar blank etc.Couldn't get over how light they feel compared to my T'curve,Sabre etc.

post-38746-0-63518000-1466854628_thumb.jpg

Yeah it looks great but already see a normal problem with factory made rods. The guides are ok but the problem lies with no under binds under the guides. Can lead to guides moving left and right among other things.

Yeah it looks great but already see a normal problem with factory made rods. The guides are ok but the problem lies with no under binds under the guides. Can lead to guides moving left and right among other things.

How can you tell?

its all coated with a black resin

Quite easy my friend. The black resin you refer to is a clear resin that covers black overbinding thread. Overbind refers to the thread that is bound over the top of the guide feet. The binding of guides is done in two layers an underbind which sits under the feet and the overbind secures.

You can plainly see there is no underbind.

Their wasn't from memory but I'll have to get them to check if any guides are loose,the older sabres at a store at the moment getting the epoxy touched up,I just thought that underbound rods made a little crunch like noise when loaded up & never worried about it,.10+years ago I would have never considered buying a production rod,if anyone remembers those brittle Penn rods or how weak the Beast master ones were.I noticed with the Shimano TCurve's the rollers are never quite inline on mine & everyone else's I've seen, but they look fine when new (still I'm not complaining for around $400 it's been a good rod considering how much ruff use its had ).While on the subject would anyone Know if the Pacific Composites blanks from the late 90s were the same as the Sabres,they look & feel identical.

post-38746-0-40260300-1467110593_thumb.jpg

post-38746-0-78369900-1467110635_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjts

rtjs no they are 2 different blanks and the pacifics will tend to break on the blend line. Sabres are a better rod. Possible reasons for the sounds. Whoever has built the rods hasnt used the right epoxy causing epoxy to crack instead of flex. Overbind may not be layered enough. Epoxy has not set through binds properly. To fix all guides should be removed, rebinded etc. At least you are doing the right thing and your rods will last. If you can afford it always go winthrop guides. Hand made and tempered in the blokes home oven in the kitchen!