Weird fish (large scale saury)

eefsj

Question

Went fishing today and caught this weird looking fish, trying to find out what it is from Google and the fish species but still couldn't identify it.

Can anyone tell me what fish is this? e991f05089457521a4dc79378aaabeb7.jpgf33c415c72c71f26a217a5b5a76ab458.jpge499bbaad4a2d04387215beacbdca11d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 answers to this question

Can you eat them, or should i say are they a good table fish? :fish_h4h:

I filleted the similar looking one I caught, and found it contains a similar bony structure to a Sgt Baker, that is, many bones along the fillet. The tail section did not contain any bones, so I cut off that section, coated in bread crumbs and pan fried. It was quite edible, though a little different in taste to most other fish I have eaten. There are many other fish that taste a bit better. Fish from the lizard fish family are caught overseas and used to make fishcakes or fish balls that are deep fried.

It's a good rule of thumb to make sure you know the fish before taking it home.

Bag limits, sizes, protected species and potential toxins or poisons are pretty important to your health and our local ecosystems.

That aside, I landed one of these near Clifton Gardens, pretty ordinary fight, but cool to land a new species!