kayaking just off wollongong

daniel ogden

Hey guys, so i was fishing off the break-wall in Wollongong harbour the other day and noticed how flat it seemed off the rocks on a day that wasn"t exactly a small swell. So my plan is in the school holidays to have a fish on the kayak out at Wollongong with a few mates. Planning to launch in the harbour and paddle out past the break-wall and fish one rod with bait the other flicking plastics, to be honest i don"t really know what id expect to catch but maybe a snapper or find a school of salmon or tailor busting up. Has anyone fished just out off Wollongong and know what best bait or plastic to use or what fish i should expect to catch. Any info would be great guys, appreciate it.

My favorite spot to paddle. Don't assume the swell will be low. Hill60 protects it in a southerly, but anything else and the swell will roll in. Just be smart. Regardless if swell there's heaps of good fishing inside the harbor to be had. Play by the rules as maritime, rescue, the water police and the harbor pilot all berth there and will hassle you if your being a dumb ass or not wearing a lifejacket

I think Krause is referring to port harbour not wollongong.

Wollongong is calm on the inside but im not sure if there is alot there. Lots of squid. Outside the harbour walls is a different story and can get choppy so be careful. Could try minimurra river in the yak or parts of the lake.