Fishing In The Hawkesbury River First Time

harrishobbies

HI All have joined this cool site and would like some info we will be going fishing in the Hawkesbury river

on the 2nd , 3rd, and 4th of jan 09 ..

I have never had a boat , I live under the woywoy train bridge and rip bridge , but now its time to do some real fishing and head to the Hawkesbury river I would like some help with baits and if you want to give up the holy grail fishing spot feel free ... feel free , I think we will leave from patonga friday arvo .

thanks for your time and info ..

Leigh :1fishing1:

hey leigh and welcome to fish raider

the best bait for the hawks is live or very fresh

for bream and flattys and treves nippers or bloodworms, squirt worms or crabs

dead bait for the above peeled hawks prawns and squid but must be fresh and have never seen fresh water

tailor and kings will take a dead gar or pilly slowly retrived in the washes or a fresh squid under a float

as for spots well were to start

the joey is my fav but it was all land based and many years ago

the north side off loan island is a good place to start and behind the island is a good spot for flathead

hear a tip for flint and steel reef everyone sits on top off each uther motor up to the last boat in the car park and drop a boby cork in the water with a stort line and a sinker and follow it off the reef

you now know were all the berly is going from the carpark and you can position your boat away from every one else and pick up the fish off the reef

i use this method to find witch way a floated bait will travel before i drop a pick

just to clarify i do'nt look to fish some one else berly trail but as with longreef yesterday there were 15 boats fishing the wall all berlying we fished 2 km away and could clearly see the slick coming from the wall and going all the way to north head

hope this helps gary

that's because my spelling is crap :074:

lion island is in the mouth off the hawks and brisbane waters

the joey is barrenjoey head land the north end off palm beach

ross if your reading i tryed real hard to spell this post right but i bet the spelling is still crap :074:

cherrs gary

hey leigh and welcome to fish raider

the best bait for the hawks is live or very fresh

for bream and flattys and treves nippers or bloodworms, squirt worms or crabs

dead bait for the above peeled hawks prawns and squid but must be fresh and have never seen fresh water

tailor and kings will take a dead gar or pilly slowly retrived in the washes or a fresh squid under a float

as for spots well were to start

the joey is my fav but it was all land based and many years ago

the north side off loan island is a good place to start and behind the island is a good spot for flathead

hear a tip for flint and steel reef everyone sits on top off each uther motor up to the last boat in the car park and drop a boby cork in the water with a stort line and a sinker and follow it off the reef

you now know were all the berly is going from the carpark and you can position your boat away from every one else and pick up the fish off the reef

i use this method to find witch way a floated bait will travel before i drop a pick

just to clarify i do'nt look to fish some one else berly trail but as with longreef yesterday there were 15 boats fishing the wall all berlying we fished 2 km away and could clearly see the slick coming from the wall and going all the way to north head

hope this helps gary

Thanks Gary

WIll take all the handy info and I hope to post some fish pics ..

THANKS

The system is so big its largely tide dependent where and how u fish. If u dont have a sounder get yourself a good map of the river showing bottom contours to start with. its such a massive area u take pot luck sometimes but narrow it down by looking for interesting country on your map...drop offs and the extensions of rocky points are always a good start. If u feel like it maybe grab a cpl of crab traps but make sure u read up on regulations and put the necessary info on the floats etc.

http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=151.2...34&fc=1#map

If the wind is favourable dont be afraid to drift the Hungry Beach bay area behind Flint and Steel. Good flattie grounds and a little more preotected from tide and wind. They can sometimes be right in within 30 of the rocks so gauge the wind direction adn start our drift accordingly.

Just inside the entrace of the river itself on the northern side is a wide expanse of sand flat with two navigation poles. I'm guessing u wont have a sounder to find the dropoff so assume the edge of the tide channel is between about 40-100m on the sth (river side) of these poles...try assorted drifts to cover wide areas and try not to repeat drifts...its a big area of flats and they can be patchy from 2ft of water to 15ft...good whiting grounds on the flats and can be big flatties on the drop off wide of the poles as well as in the shallows inside the poles....concentrate on drop offs from any shallow area into deeper water...up the end of any bay where the sand bars/mud flats drop off is someitimes good fun fishing for whiting bream and flatties on light gear...have a flick near oyster leases too. Turn the corner upriver to Dangar Is and Long Is and fish the channel edges...flatties/bream and keep a small hook rig out coz often some great whiting fishing there. Whatever is about concentrate on them. Once again move around and be active with your sand anchor and drifting till u find them.

Places like Juno/Elanor bluffs etc are very much tide dependent and try to look for where u think the tide will eddy as it turns a corner and stir up the bottom and maybe attract fish ...if u dont have a sounder look to fish any deep holes or sections at tide changes and avoid main tide zones coz u;ll need 5lb of lead to make bottom sometimes. Fish the turn of the tide at Juno and Flint and Steel and as light as u can under the conditions. Good spot to drop crab traps at the river mouth on the shallow side of the channel just inside Juno. Fairly conveneient spot to check them every hr or two.

Out in the middle of the main channel between F&S and Juno is a big shallow bank that can someitmes be good drifting for lizards when the tide isnt fierce...big area and if u dont get any move at least 100m for the next drift. In general all drifting use just enough lead to hold and bounce the botom to stir it up ahead of your bait...and u can let out a 5" jerk shad or similar and let the drift give it action.

Sth of the river entrance itself is Cowan Creek (Gods Country)...plenty of fishing areas in Cowan as well. Definitely try around Shark Pt for mixed bag and pot luck..drift it first on the city side if the wind is favourable and if nothing u can try anchoring just inside the point..just make sure you're out of the main drag coz big boats cut that corner at 30knots.

Refuge Bay...has been my first port of call for your nipper needs for 25yrs. The sth arm either side of the low tide. EXTREMELY BUSY in there at this time of yr tho so go v slow thru the car park and u'll avoid abuse.

Someone else is best used for upriver from Brooklyn coz i havent fished it nearly as much nor as productively.

THANKS BOOMER

WE have a good Sounder and maps too , today I found a video ( remember them ) $50c bargen

its by BRUCE SCHUMACHER Fishing the Hawkesbury will watch it and take notes .....

THANKS i will print this off and take this info with us .

Once again thanks Boomer For all your time

Kind Regards Leigh

• 9 years later...
25 minutes ago, Kingfish_Beast said:

Hi guys just new to boating and wondering if anyone will be willing to pass on there gps marks thanks

Welcome to fishraider! 

Try using the search function on this site to access the information you require. There is also a gps marks section that members have access to! 

Regards scratchie mod team