How To Bleed A Fish?

glennmreid

Hi Guys,

Wondering if you could help me. What is the best way to bleed a fish? Particulary blackfish? With blackfish you are supposed to bleed them straight away, just wanted to know the right way. I've seen fish cut behind the top of the head, others underneath just behind the gills. I've off to the Entrance tomorrow for a days blackfishing, any feedback on my question would be great.

Thanks

Glenn

Edited by chopper75

i dunno about blackfish but in all of roberta's pics she cuts them behind the head ay? otherwise just slit there throats, making sure to cut all the way up through the gills, you'l know when you'v done it right cos blood will start coming out profusely....

Hi Glenn

Totally your call. If in a boat, you can keep them alive in a keeper net until you pack up, then kill & fillet them immediately. On the rocks, if you use a keeper net, the net (and fish) can get chewed by eels hiding in the rocks! (This happened to me) so I tried keeping them alive in the bucket, but they kept jumping out! Now I half decapitate them immediately I catch them & put them in fresh salt water.

Most folk slit their throat & break their neck. I only chop the back of their neck (cutting their spine in the process until they 'phart') because they are so strong & difficult to hold whilst upside down when you are standing on rocks, I was getting cuts from their spines all over my hands! So now, I grab them from the net using a towell (which I wrap all around them, as they are so feisty & easy to drop as they are so slippery!) and HOld them down whilst basically almost decapitating them!

See what suits you when you catch them!|

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

[hi chopper75 :1fishing1:

i keep them alive until ive caught enough then off with their heads gut them clean out the black lining in the fridge for 1day then i fillet them and skin them

or you can kill them as you catch them by cutting down behind the head letting them bleed

peter :1fishing1:

chopper

As a kid when i did most of my Blackfishing we would keep them in a keeper net in the water which keeps them alive.Then at the end of the day we would bleed them from the bottom, rather then cutting them from the top of the fish.

Then the fish where Filleted straight after.

i keep them alive ...then take there heads right off ... then put in fridge on a tray till next morn.. this makes the flesh firm and makes filleting and skining a lot easier.. and then wash fillets vigeriously in salt water ...but as you see everybody has there own idea.... but the importent thing is to bleed them. COOKING i cut into bite size pieces..smooth beer batter..deep fry on the bbq..drain on paper towl 2 mins..salt and pepper ..a cold stubby.... and a couple good mates........tnx bob

Edited by noisy

You should cut any of the fish that are "blood" fish.

If they are left under stress in a keeper net, bucket or such the blood apparently courses through the flesh and taints it. Blackies,trevs, tailor and the like should be cut through the back of the neck down through the spine. This both kills them and lets the dark blood run out.

It's not necessary for fish that don't have dark meat in them like bream flatties etc

Dave

Thanks for the reply everyone. It is really appreciated.

Glenn

You should cut any of the fish that are "blood" fish.

If they are left under stress in a keeper net, bucket or such the blood apparently courses through the flesh and taints it. Blackies,trevs, tailor and the like should be cut through the back of the neck down through the spine. This both kills them and lets the dark blood run out.

It's not necessary for fish that don't have dark meat in them like bream flatties etc

Dave