Kowmung River

cheers

Just spent the weekend on the Lower Kowmung River & we didn't catch or see any Trout.

Only seen Carp.

The Kowmung hasn't fished very well for a while & we were telling some one we know about the lack of fish when they informed me that at where the Kowmung meets the Coxs, they have found chicken wire across the Kowmung to stop spawning Trout making their way up the river.

They have found this a number of times as well as a friend of theirs who found it the first time.

They make it a point to go there every time now to remove & hide this wire.

I have just informed National Parks & they will be investigating this.

Some one out there wants the spawning Trout to only go up the Coxs & not the Kowmung.

Anyone who goes in there just keep an eye out for this wire.

I will give you an update when the National Parks gets back to us.

Edited by cheers

So has anyone informed fisheries about this? I'm sure the local office would be keen to hear about it!!!!

Have reported this to Fisheries on their 1800 line.

I would like to talk to the Fisheries Office that look after this area.

If anyone knows which office & phone number please post it here.

Thanks.

I spoke to Ken from Sofala CAS thevothers say and told him he suggests you get pictures for fisheries try calling the Bathurst office and ask for Sean on who looks after this area ? Ken thinks its useless putting wire up cause the next big flood will wipe it out and once the water rises above the wire level the bows will get over it!

be careful trying to right someone else wrong. i've met some sketchy characters down in the valleys or on the trails out there - guys with 4wds in the NP past the locked gates, their vehicles containing nets, gardening gear and guns - be careful if they don't mind doing things like that, i imagine they wouldn't have much concern for your safety either.

we were bailed up for an hour on the walk out once forced to drink beer with them and had to promise we had never seen them and to keep our mouths shut about something we were not sure we knew anything about - was pretty scary at the time they were many and they were big and armed, i was really outgunned with my 3wt and floating line lol

ps cant wait for the weekend ;-)

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if there was any further update on this?

I am looking at doing a hike into the lower kowmung during 2015, I have been a bit higher up and the fishing was a bit scarce so thought the lower section might be a bit better. Not much point in going in though if the wire/fence is still in place.

Cheers