Loctite?

cupster

Hi guys I'm re-installing the water pump housing on my 03' f50 yamaha. the maintanace manual says to apply loctite572 on the 4 bolts but my local mechanic (who I don't have the utmost confidence in) said just smear them with a dab of marine grease. Which way should I go?

Thanks.

Loctite is a sealant and grease is a lubricant that has some anti seizing qualities, so two different effects. Would imagine the theory here is for the loctite to form a barrier preventing corrosion between aluminium alloy and metal bolts plus provide some resistance to bolts being loosened due to vibration.

IMO Loctite would be the better option if you have it available.

Cheers

Blood Knot

If the service manual says use loctite 572 use it if you have it.

Otherwise there's other sealants/silicones from manufactures such as permatex that can be substituted for the loctite that will all do the job.

From memory loctite 572 is a medium strength, slow curing sealant used on coarse threads giving you plenty if time to assemble components.

While your at it find a mechanic that you trust 100% to look after you as a mechanic or anyone you don't have 100% confidence in is someone not worth keeping in my opinion.

Maybe even give Huey a go if your fairly close to him as plenty of the raiders on here have had good things to say about him.

Cheers.