Fish Seeker

mark84

I was wondering if anyone has tried or heard about fish seekers or any other divers used instead of a downrigger.

I have a couple of things coming from the states and i got one its a luhr jensen jet diver.

there are others with release clips was wondering how to go about using them and if they work.

if they do work it is obviousley a great way to troll livies without a downrigger

ive used a fish seeker in the past but never had much luck

never seemed to work corretly using baits as it kept flipping the seeker over so it would surface with the bait

they work well trolling lures they seeem to keep them at depth

but i never had much luck but i really never gave them a good go

this is the one ive used.

36450_lg.jpg

ive used a fish seeker in the past but never had much luck

never seemed to work corretly using baits as it kept flipping the seeker over so it would surface with the bait

they work well trolling lures they seeem to keep them at depth

but i never had much luck but i really never gave them a good go

this is the one ive used $13 from whitwoths

36450_lg.jpg

I was actually thinking that when reading about it on the net it sounds like they are more suited to lures or small strip baits the one i have ordered is similar but isnt designed to turn and surface.

post-5144-1239527594_thumb.jpg

I am also concerned about the maximum line rating used for them they reccomend something like 10lb-15lb i was thinking 50.

the swivel and clip look like they are reasonable though.

and if a decent fish gets on i dont wana fight the diver aswell.

yeh i did some reading on the one you got and it sounds good

found some good reviews on them

my only concern with them is the actual diver itself being smashed apart if/when a big fish takes your bait

and this is prob why it has such a small line rating

i think there more suited to lakes not big powerful salt water fish

nah never used heavy line

but in all truth i only ever used the thing for about 3hrs in pitty

was using 10lb main line with a 20lb 6foot leader from memory but i never got a hit using lures

i tried again a few weeks later with squid but the seeker kept flipn over so i gave up and bought a downrigger :)

they just seem to weak and im sure they would break

esp when i read reports from fellow raiders saying you need stainless steel rodholders when your going after kingies coz the plastic ones tend to explode like a bomb with a big one takes your bait

if that happens to the rod holder on the boat i dont see much hope for the seeker in the water

they would still be worth a try there lots of other smaller fish in the sea

found this quote on another site regarding your seeker

"The product is NOT for saltwater fishing in less than 2 days both were distroyed by fish! The product got the baits down but did not hold up to the preasures of the fights. This product should be used for light fresh water only, walley and such."

Edited by Framedtrash

Hi Mark I have a contact in the States who uses a U.S. made planer board with long leaders on them and trolls a couple of medium diving lures and deep divers for some of the fish he fishes for over there... Is that what you are wanting to achieve ?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Mark I have a contact in the States who uses a U.S. made planer board with long leaders on them and trolls a couple of medium diving lures and deep divers for some of the fish he fishes for over there... Is that what you are wanting to achieve ?

Cheers

jewgaffer to be honest i originally just got it out of curiosity but i was thinking of using it with small live yakas. but i also would like to give it a go with lures it would get the rapala cd lures down an extra metre or two which could be handy.

does your mate in the states rate them?

Hi Mark, Planer boards are commonly used in the States for trolling a number of lures at shallow to intermediate depths so that one rod has a chance of getting multi hook ups once a school of fish has been located.. I wouldnt think they would work well when using live baits other than slow trolling same just below the surface and that's the point when downriggers come into their own using a single bait.... You have to increase speed to get diving lures working at the depths they are designed for when using planer boards, which can be ran off one rod in each corner of the stern...... However trolling very slowly, letting line out and hitting reverse to pause an array of live baits could work well when slow trolling live baits on Planer boards......Once you drop a planer board into the water you can motor along slowly and let the Planer board out as far behind the boat as you like..... Planer boards act as an extension of the stern of a boat with a number of lures coming off a board which has a single connection for the line going back to your rod.... When you hook up on the troll or while drifting, the fish is/are also fighting the planer board....

Planer boards would be handy to have when you're drift fishing multi baits across shallows or trolling lures into intermediate depths in deeper water where it wouldnt be impossible to get tripple hook ups on kingfish and the kinfish would have a lot of fun trying to fight a planer board.

It would be worth watching a couple of kingfish trying to drag a heavy duty planer board that keeps bobbing back up all over the place down into structure :D

Cheers

Hi Mark, Planer boards are commonly used in the States for trolling a number of lures at shallow to intermediate depths so that one rod has a chance of getting multi hook ups once a school of fish has been located.. I wouldnt think they would work well when using live baits other than slow trolling same just below the surface and that's the point when downriggers come into their own using a single bait.... You have to increase speed to get diving lures working at the depths they are designed for when using planer boards, which can be ran off one rod in each corner of the stern...... However trolling very slowly, letting line out and hitting reverse to pause an array of live baits could work well when slow trolling live baits on Planer boards......Once you drop a planer board into the water you can motor along slowly and let the Planer board out as far behind the boat as you like..... Planer boards act as an extension of the stern of a boat with a number of lures coming off a board which has a single connection for the line going back to your rod.... When you hook up on the troll or while drifting, the fish is/are also fighting the planer board....

Planer boards would be handy to have when you're drift fishing multi baits across shallows or trolling lures into intermediate depths in deeper water where it wouldnt be impossible to get tripple hook ups on kingfish and the kinfish would have a lot of fun trying to fight a planer board.

It would be worth watching a couple of kingfish trying to drag a heavy duty planer board that keeps bobbing back up all over the place down into structure :D

Cheers

haha yea maybe it would help my cause of not getting bricked 2 in 3 times.

thanks for the info jewgaffer i dont think the one i ordere is very heavy duty but il have to wait and see.

I didnt even think of using more than one leader coming off it that could be interesting especially if you had two rods with two leaders you could have a double double hook up...