Quintrex/stacer Vs Polycraft

timmy

Hi all,

I am posting this for my dad who will be moving up the Central Coast soon this year. For the last 6 months he has been looking around for a new boat to get an idea what boat brand and style he wants to buy.

Came down to either Quintrex or Stacer 4.2 open boat .... until recently been hearing a bit how good the Poly is and now he wants to know more about Poly and anyone who has had it for a while.

Any of you had a tinnie and then bought a Poly? Which one were you happier with & why?

Really hope any fishos out there that have had experience with Poly boats can help us out to get a better idea.

Thanks guys - hope to hear from one of you

Guest TelcoBroker

No prizes for guessing which direction this thread is about to head in............... :1prop:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I would prefer a Quintrex runabout all day every day and in any weather. Forward controls with a bimini thanks. You will definitely pay more for a Quinnie or a Stacer than you will a Poly but for me a Poly just doesn't have the quality of finish or the creature comforts. I suppose it comes down to what your old man wants to do with his boat. If he wants protection from the sun, rain or spray then he will want a bimini and probably a windscreen. If he wants to get in touch with nature and the elements then the poly may just suit him down to the ground.

There are plenty of other points to consider but I think I'll let someone else give their opinions.

No prizes for guessing which direction this thread is about to head in............... :1prop:

ooh let me guess ! :biggrin2:

Yeah i prefer the tinnies myself. Only because they are lighter and easier to handle. The Poly's are going to be softer and more stable but are also heavier and i just cant get into them. Not sure why maybe its just the look.

I'd go the tinnie, but only because:

1. The trailering requirements of the poly are a pest. The full-length supports are OK on the supplied trailer for light-duty towing, but to set them up for heavy duty towing might be a bit fiddly. The tendency of poly to wrack also worries me for towing over very long distances on lousy roads. I may change this opinion after further research.

2. The sides of the hull are very smooth and slope outwards, and might be difficult to stand against in rough water.

3. They are cheaper than a top shelf tinny, but need to be cheaper still to interest me. 4.5 m hull with console 50 hp 4 stroke, and the full set-up needs to be closer to $17,000 on the water than $19000.

I like the poly because it is a softer ride than a tinny, it is dual skinned and each skin is 10mm thick, so you can screw into the plastic. The sides are about 900mm high. If you scratch or damage it, you just get a heat gun and sandpaper basically and the scratch is gone. I have a 4.55 frontrunner, the hull without outboard is 320kg. Mine's a 2002 model and i bought it from Queensland for $12000 secondhand. I guess it depends on what you like aluminium or plastic. Just my thoughts.

Guest TelcoBroker

Gees Stewy, you can let go now. I didn't think I'd get such a solid bite - in fact you just about spooled me.

BTW. I'd take a Ford over a Holden anyday. (Ooops, now that is a bit off topic aint it)

Guest TelcoBroker

You guys seem to think we are biased for Polycraft :biggrin2: You bet !!!! I have one and you dont and I have been in all those tinnies you talk about and I had the cash to buy whatever I wanted .I trialled many tinnies including stacer .quinnies allycraft and stessell and as time went on the pros and cons of our boat aboslutely blew the others away .I have towed my boat up some shitty tracks as well and had nps with it .I tow it at 110 klms per hour with my ss commodore and it doesnt move one iota. The ride is just as good as any tinnie I have been in ,as for fit out I bet you dont have the creature comforts we have like cd player ,decklights ,livebait tank very comfy seats a canopy and every other thing you can want .The only thing which can be a bad aspect is rod storage under floor locker which cant be done .I HAVE TAKEN MANY FISHRAIDERS OUT IN IT AND YOU ASK THEM YOURSELF IF OUR BOAT LOOKS SHABBY :yahoo: Me THINKS NOT :074:

Cheers very happy 4.1 Polycraft owner or 8 months

With all respect Stewy and to all the other Polycraft owners (I am sure you are all good guys) and the Poly boats will probably do exactly what you say they will and then some and they may even outlast some of the alloy boats.

BUT

As I say, with respect, the comments and feedback coupled with the shameless plugging of certain products go a little bit further than just passion or support for site sponsors, it is almost propaganda. Sure have an opinion and be passionate about what you have but why be nasty about it Stewy.

For the record I don't own a Poly or an alloy boat but I have an opinion and what I feel are valid points. Those points I have given are backed up with sensible reasoning. If someone was considering buying a poly and I knew they had a young family that would from time to time go boating I would also tell them to consider how the elements would tarnish the day due to limited protection from the sun, wind, rain and spray. On the other hand if I was single or wanted a boat to get away from domestic reality from time to time and do nothing but fishing I reckon I consider a poly. If I was mad on fishing in the top end I reckon a poly would probably be my first choice. I guess we all have different expectations, needs and domestic situations. I take my family out on the Hawkesbury at least once a month and I know there is no way I would have a repeat outing if my 14 month old boy came home sunburnt to a crisp from no cover.

Anyway, I've had my say. I trust my comments don't offend. I am all for sharing ideas and experiences and that is why I enjoy this forum and also provide input where I feel I can add something.

Came down to either Quintrex or Stacer 4.2 open boat .... until recently been hearing a bit how good the Poly is and now he wants to know more about Poly and anyone who has had it for a while.

Any of you had a tinnie and then bought a Poly? Which one were you happier with & why?

Really hope any fishos out there that have had experience with Poly boats can help us out to get a better idea.

What an interesting debate this has evolved into.

Firstly I will revert back to the original post by TiMmY.

1. The MAIN point is that he wants an OPEN BOAT not one with half cabins, windscreens, biminis and/or "creature comforts".

2. He specifically asks for the opinions of those that have had tinnies and now own a Poly.

3. Requests any fishos that have had experience with Poly boats to help him out to get a better idea.

Telco, thank you for your opinions and comments but in your post you admit that you "don't own a poly or an alloy boat".

Swordfisherman has fished out of tinnies and half cabins and all manner of craft for many years (up to a 7.5 metre PREDATOR). Prior to owning the Poly, swordfisherman fished out of a 4 metre Brooker flat bottom pointy nose punt. Before that he owned a 5.2 Caribbean Crestcutter (same as Outnumbered's boat).

I feel that swordfisherman is well authorised to answer this gentleman's questions based on the above facts and I hope his honest, reliable and credible comments regarding the Poly will help TiMmY with his next purchase. On the subject of propaganda, perhaps the Poly owners of the world could form a philosophical group to propagate the dogma........... :1gathering:

All jokes aside, come on all you Poly boat owners, help TiMmY out here too. I am sure he is looking forward to more opinion on this excellent boat.

By the way Telco, I just looked at the pic of your gorgeous skiboat in the Members Pics post. I enjoyed skiing in my younger days too. I loved your comment "not much of a fishing machine but the :wife: loves it". It sure pays to keep the women happy huh :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Guest TelcoBroker

What an interesting debate this has evolved into.

Firstly I will revert back to the original post by TiMmY.

1. The MAIN point is that he wants an OPEN BOAT not one with half cabins, windscreens, biminis and/or "creature comforts".

2. He specifically asks for the opinions of those that have had tinnies and now own a Poly.

3. Requests any fishos that have had experience with Poly boats to help him out to get a better idea.

Telco, thank you for your opinions and comments but in your post you admit that you "don't own a poly or an alloy boat".

Swordfisherman has fished out of tinnies and half cabins and all manner of craft for many years (up to a 7.5 metre PREDATOR). Prior to owning the Poly, swordfisherman fished out of a 4 metre Brooker flat bottom pointy nose punt. Before that he owned a 5.2 Caribbean Crestcutter (same as Outnumbered's boat).

I feel that swordfisherman is well authorised to answer this gentleman's questions based on the above facts and I hope his honest, reliable and credible comments regarding the Poly will help TiMmY with his next purchase. On the subject of propaganda, perhaps the Poly owners of the world could form a philosophical group to propagate the dogma........... :1gathering:

All jokes aside, come on all you Poly boat owners, help TiMmY out here too. I am sure he is looking forward to more opinion on this excellent boat.

By the way Telco, I just looked at the pic of your gorgeous skiboat in the Members Pics post. I enjoyed skiing in my younger days too. I loved your comment "not much of a fishing machine but the :wife: loves it". It sure pays to keep the women happy huh :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hmmm, should I get my :wife: to reply with a post detailing the boats I have owned and fished from? I think not. Should I rabbit on about what boats I have considered buying and boast about what I can afford? I don't know what that would prove and it is very childish schoolyard behaviour anyway. This whole thread has definitely gone to the dogs with to much boasting, chest beating, criticism and assumptions about other members boating experiences AND SADLY IT IS THE COMMENTS OF TWO MODERATORS THAT I FIND THE MOST DISAPPOINTING.

To date I feel I have had my fair share of jokes, probably too many victimless smart alec comments and also provided some reasonable input on this site but posts that attempt to negate my relevant feedback and make me look like an incompetant and inexperienced fisho and boater make me wonder if my input is appreciated.

Pearls before swine.

Telcobroker

Firstly, don't think we're trying to gang up on you here, but thought i'd share with everyone my thoughts.

I am awaiting delivery of my brand new 4.1 side console POLY!!! (So i'm obviously pro-poly).

I was looking for a v-bow punt style of boat. After looking at the various models available i obviously decided on the poly for the following reasons - FOUR YEAR warranty :thumbup: , the ability to take the knocks (accidents happen), colour range, ride quality, stability (the wife thinks she doesn't like boats, so i bought the most stable one i could find) and the fact that my ego was much boosted by the fact i could get a 50hp on the back (most of the equivalent aluminium boats only go to about 30 or 40hp). Believe it or not, price was not a primary factor (even though i am an accountant!!!!!! :074: ).

As far as protection, etc goes, i ordered a bimini with it for sun protection (i have very white pasty skin - perfect for an accountant), and as far as having kids in the boat, i would rather put then in a poly than an aluminium boat of the same size - Zero sharp edges on the poly!!! (i have been out in a few tinny's & taken a few nasty knocks myself).

That's my 2 cents (plus GST)

Numbers

Personally, I avoid reviews from owners of anything, especially vehement, loyal owners of unusual vehicles. Having been a motorcyclist for 20+ years, I am very familiar with the syndrome where owners of certain vehicles they bought on reputation (Ducatis and Harleys are the obvious example) will defend it at all costs ("I'd rather push a Harley than ride a riceburner"), even though they know damn well they own an utter poo cart. It's called 'mystique', I believe. There is ample evidence to indicate that this is quite adequate to both maintain a high priced second-hand market, and trap new owners. It borders on sacrilege for a Harley owner to admit he rides a slow, bad handling shitbox with no brakes, lest the masses find out the inside story and the resale halves overnight.

The most logical route is to READ what EVERYONE has to say, collect EVIDENCE and assess it LOGICALLY. Polys, they say, have a soft ride. The hull material is flexible, so this seems logical, and I believe it, and so on.

I am always highly suspicious of owners who are defensive to the point of aggression. Makes you wonder, don't it...

Hi all,

I am posting this for my dad who will be moving up the Central Coast soon this year. For the last 6 months he has been looking around for a new boat to get an idea what boat brand and style he wants to buy.

Thanks guys - hope to hear from one of you

TiMmY,

While I am neither a poly or alum owner, I have been researching these same boats for over a year. I have been in the market for a boat for that long, and am still undecided on which to buy. Luckily for me, both my brothers have boats I borrow.

Anyway, Pro's & Cons from my research.

Aluminium:

Pro's -

Been around forever, and can take the knocks.

Lighter to single handle

Huge range to choose from.

More options for addons (under floor storage/tanks etc)

Cons -

That nice tinny slap in swell/chop

Motor size small for smaller models

Scratches hard to fix (if you care)

Not soft on legs (in swell)

Price can be steep for some models (quintrex etc)

Poly:

Pro's -

Great ride

Soft on legs (in swell)

Larger motor size per boat size

Coloured boat is free

Price

Con's -

Much heavier that Alum

Underfloor Addons not available

Some addons need alot of work (becuase of poly thickness etc)

Not a huge range to choose from

Now this is just a few pro's cons that I have thought of, do a little more research yourself and see what you come up with.

Me, I am on the verge of buying an alum as I have 3 kids and we need room and cover for weekends on the brissy and hawkesbury. Of course I may yet chang my mind, as I am still pretty unsure which to go.

Another relevant thing that potential Poly owners should know: how does the cockpit drainage system work, and how well does it work? Looking at the boats on the trailer, it seems that the carpet might restrict water draining to the grooves in the floor if you get a big dump over the transom.

Some very valid points put forward here by the members regarding various things. It has gone a little "off topic" TiMmY but I am sure you will have found some of what you needed answered. You had done your research on Quintrex and Stacer boats and specifically asked for views from Poly owners on the Polycraft.

Those that have experience with Polys have given you some ideas hopefully.

Whatever boat you choose I am sure that you will spend many many pleasurable hours doing what we all enjoy, :1fishing1:

Don't forget to post us all a pic of the new purchase and good luck!!

Cheers mrsswordfisherman