Plumpton Park Carp Fishing

coollamon

hey everyone ,I took my little girl down the park to try and bag a couple of carp(good for her to learn on)

Aside from 1 getting of the hook witch was bigger than the rest 45cm+ she had a good time

bloody lense cover got in the way

Edited by coollamon

Collaman>> whered you get them?

Plumton Park,it's pretty close to me i.e 3 mintues away and my misses can go and do the shopping

at the shops just up the road while we fish....

Lol my little girl wants to know when we can go again

There is a lake of near Merrylands that holds some woppers going down there tomorrow for a go ,taking the misses and my little girl so should be kewl

Carp are an excellent way to teach angling skills to the young :thumbup: ; we used to catch carp to 10 kg in the Neapean river :biggrin2:

There used to be massive ones here but council approved electroding the lake/creek to try and get rid of em now they are not big at all

Edited by coollamon

Plumpton park is located on Hyatts Rd , Plumpton just down the road from the Marketplace.

I am local to the area, didnt know there were fish in the lake so thats pretty awesome.

Not planning on trying it but just in case

How do u catch the buggers? ie bait,hook size etc?

Hi Guys,

There are some really big mud puppies in the Nepean. I see them all the time when I'm Bass Fishing either from the bank or in the boat.

Seriously, you could saddle some of them, they are just huge :wacko::wacko:

Yarramundi would be as good a place as any.

Also, up near the Penrith weir and as Jewman says, burley and bread seem to do the trick.

The other option is the Penrith Regatta Centre. They run family fishing days (I think monthly) where you can take the family and catch them. Corn is the go there I believe.

I've never fished for them as I take my boat up river and stir up the local Bass population :biggrin2:, but I've seen guys fishing for them with floats and bread along the bank and the big piles of scales where they've been caught and cleaned!!!!- yuk!!!! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Cheers

David.

What's the best pattern & size of hook to use to catch big carp with? :1fishing1:

When I was in ANSA we used to use smaller type hooks like a luderick hook No 6 or so the main reason for using little hooks was that while fishing for carp you could also fish for mullet both the bully & yellow eye, a kilo sized bully goes like the clappers :biggrin2: . In ANSA we fished almost exclusively 1 or 2 kilo line, if fishing with heavier line say 6kg if you use a small hook it will pull out of the soft mouth of the carp so if your going to fish heavier line use a No1 bait holder type hook.

Baits for carp

Bread

Corn

Worms

Dough

Baits for mullet

Dough

Bread

Tiger worms for yellow-eyed mullet & bass

If you’re into fly-fishing a white fly will get you connected to both mullet & carp

Burley is a must :thumbup:

Those are really small hooks for such a big fish... except for the size one baitholder which was size I thought carp fishos would be using.

I will use my luderick/blackfish hooks & corn bits.

Are the sweet corn cobs you buy in a can to use with salads okay? Or carps don't have a sweet tooth. :1fishing1:

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Is Plumpton park out penrith way?

Yeh its out Mt Druitt way so sort of close to penrith :D

I use 4lb braid with a 9lb leader, most times I just use small luderick hooks (the tiny green mustard ones)

and a split shot if there is a breeze on a Daiwa heartland rod with a very whippy action.

In regards to bait I usually make dough with flour and water that's pretty clingy and burley up half hour before with some stale bread molded into little bombs and throw hand's full over a 2-3 meter area.

The good thing about braid for this sort of fishing is that it floats and I usually leave my line slack so as the fish doesnt feel the resistance ,so alll I have to do is watch the braid pick up off the water and then gently apply preasure once all th slack has been taken up.(just don't pull up to hard as their mouths are really soft and you will end up ripping out the hook)

hope this helps

coollamon