Marlin Eating Qualities?

domza

Guest danielinbyron

Beautiful!

its my larger fish of coice... it has a distinct flavor, black is even more distinct and gamey, its so much cheaper and easier to cook than tuna,it holds togethre well, i tend to use it in my red seafood curries when i don't have anything fresh..it retails at $14per kg in my local fish mongers.

Edited by danielinbyron

Has anyone ever tried smoked marlin?

I became almost addicted to it at a resort in Mauritius a few years ago and pigged out on it.

I don't know how they smoked it but it was absolutely fantastic!

It becomes almost mother of pearl in colour when smoked and sliced thin is delicious.

Could do with another feed of it right now just thinking about it. :thumbup:

Pete.

Has anyone ever tried smoked marlin?

I became almost addicted to it at a resort in Mauritius a few years ago and pigged out on it.

I don't know how they smoked it but it was absolutely fantastic!

It becomes almost mother of pearl in colour when smoked and sliced thin is delicious.

Could do with another feed of it right now just thinking about it. :thumbup:

Pete.

thanks for the reply guys, and i might just have to experiment with smoking marlin chunks. Do you know if it was hot or cold smoked?

thanks for the reply guys, and i might just have to experiment with smoking marlin chunks. Do you know if it was hot or cold smoked?

Cold smoked and mouth watering.

Give it a shot...I think you'll like it.

It wasn't flavoured by smoke (like the various flavoured smoking chips you can buy) but had a distinct

seafood flavour still.

if you do smoke some...please report back here on the result...I'd be interested in how it turns out.

Pete.

Just a thought ...

The commercial fishermen who nearly wiped out the Yellowfin Tuna have turned their hand to Striped Marlin.

Biggest problem there is that for every Striped Marlin caught on a longline, there will be some Black Marlin and Blue Marlin hooked. Only the Striped Marlin is allowed to be landed in East Coast ports, so the others get thrown back, some live, most die.

It's like shooting all the cows in a field, but only eating the brown cows ... any black or grey cows are left to rot.

This type of fishing is unsustainable and several stores like Woolworths and Coles have removed Marlin from their shelves in response to complaints.

Western Australia have banned all landing of Marlin at West Coast ports.

Biggest thrill of my fishing life was watching my first Marlin swim away from the boat ... my next one may turn into dinner! That's my decision to make.

Now, it's entirely up to you what you choose to do, but I won't buy Marlin.

:dito:

first they said we want to keep stripe marlin cos we catch them when longlining for tuna

now they want to keep blacks and blues cos they catch them when targetting stripes

last season over 700 tonnes of stripe marlin came in from longliners setting hooks from jb canyons to ulladulla. marlin could be seen jumping everywhere dragging longlines behind them.

ill get off my box now before i get angry.

Just a thought ...

The commercial fishermen who nearly wiped out the Yellowfin Tuna have turned their hand to Striped Marlin.

Biggest problem there is that for every Striped Marlin caught on a longline, there will be some Black Marlin and Blue Marlin hooked. Only the Striped Marlin is allowed to be landed in East Coast ports, so the others get thrown back, some live, most die.

It's like shooting all the cows in a field, but only eating the brown cows ... any black or grey cows are left to rot.

This type of fishing is unsustainable and several stores like Woolworths and Coles have removed Marlin from their shelves in response to complaints.

Western Australia have banned all landing of Marlin at West Coast ports.

Biggest thrill of my fishing life was watching my first Marlin swim away from the boat ... my next one may turn into dinner! That's my decision to make.

Now, it's entirely up to you what you choose to do, but I won't buy Marlin.

good post whitto, it something to get the grey matter working over

Thanks for the support guys.

I'm not really any sort of activist, but this subject gets me going big time.

Six years ago, on another website, we heard about Woolworths selling Marlin ... 3,000 e-mails later Woolies pulled the plug on buying any more stock.

3 weeks later Coles began selling Marlin... 3,000 e-mails later and they continued to sell it!

One interview on the Channel 7 Sunrise program with a very nervous Whitto ... and Coles decided to stop buying Marlin.

One 200kg Marlin retails at $14 per kilo = $2,800

The same fish is worth $10,000 to the fishing/boating/tourisim industries EVERYTIME it is tagged and released!

I'll shutup now!

Im with Whitto,

I wont support commercial fishing for billfish, particularly swordfish by purchasing it from retailers.

Their eating qualities however are excellent!

I have to say that I've never eaten Marlin. I would eat one if me or one of my mates decided to keep one.

I've only caught 4 & have tagged & released them. It's the personal choice of an angler if they want to kill a fish. Some mates of mine caught a 300lb Blue a few years back & have regreted killing it since then. It doesn't bother me either way.

The subject of pros targeting Marlin really gets my back up as well. They are worth so much more as a sport fishing target than dead at bugger all per kilo on the market floor. We have a sensational Striped Marlin fishery here off Sydney but it's getting worse already. Something has to be done. I urge all of us NOT to buy any Marlin to eat. Not only do they have a very high mercury content that's not real good for you, if people don't buy it then the markets won't sell it. No demand = no supply.

A delicacy in Malindi, Kenya, is cold smoked sailfish. I'm salivating thinking about it!

Over there they keep a few & release alot. It's sustainable & it works. They still have many double digit T&R days on the sails every season.

Cheers,

Grant.