Welcome to Fishraider

Welcome to Fishraider, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Fishraider by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Photo

How To Determine The Age Of A Evinrude Or Johnson Outboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Huey @ Huett Marine

Huey @ Huett Marine

KINGFISH

• SITE SPONSOR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

Hi, we often get asked the age of an Evinrude or Johnson outboard, so I thought I would post how to tell the age here. This is for any OMC or BRP outboard since 1980.

You get the model number and look at the 3rd and 2nd last letters. Now using the following word where a letter corresponds to a number:

INTRODUCES

For example:- BE70ELEUM, the 3rd last letter is E which is the 9th letter in the word introduces. The second last letter is U which is the 7th letter, therefore the engine is a 1997 model 70HP Evinrude.

Another:-J150PLSNF, the 3rd last letter is S, which is 0. The second last letter is N which relates to 2, so the engine is a 2002 model 150HP Johnson.

One more:-J25ELCOC, the 3rd last letter is C, which is the 8th letter. The second last letter is O whihc is the 5th letter in the word INTRODUCES. Therefore this engine is a 1985 model 25HP Johnson.

The HP of the engine is also the numbers and it will either have an E for Evinrude or J for Johnson before the HP rating.

I hope you can understand it, if not and you would like to know the year model of your outboard please PM me your model number and I can tell you.

Cheers,

Huey.

#2 OFFLINE   twoducks

twoducks

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

Gidday further to the above, Ive had this link for a while.
It allows you to look up quite a few makes to find the year of mfg etc.

http://marinshopen.se/
I think its in sweden, but you can work it out pretty easily, if not you could probably have Google translate it.

Click on the the modellguide (top right) then select make

Cheers
Twoducks

Edited by twoducks, 09 May 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Flightmanager

Flightmanager

MAKO

• GOLD MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

That site is particularly good for Mariner engines .

Ross

#4 OFFLINE   Crazy John

Crazy John

JEWFISH

• ADDICTED MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

thats some good helpful info there huey.