New Fishfinder/gps Combo!

wildfish

ive just bought a new sounder / gps!

when i took it out for 1st run i found the gps marks i had were all about 200 meters from where i expected to be!

do i need to calibrate my gps?

could my mount possie be effecting my readings?

funny thing my 1st spot i found was looking for the car park, i expected to be in close to the rocks but was about 200m east and my last spot was looking for watts reef and was being lead to hot water outlet so probably about 200m west of my expectations?

any thoughts!

ive just bought a new sounder / gps!

when i took it out for 1st run i found the gps marks i had were all about 200 meters from where i expected to be!

do i need to calibrate my gps?

could my mount possie be effecting my readings?

funny thing my 1st spot i found was looking for the car park, i expected to be in close to the rocks but was about 200m east and my last spot was looking for watts reef and was being lead to hot water outlet so probably about 200m west of my expectations?

any thoughts!

These might be too obvious but check that when you imput your BPS points the new GPS was on the same Datum setting as your old GPS.

eg Datum WGS84. If it wasn't the GPS runs a correction based on the datum and can put you 200m or more out. There are many datums

Check that your input setting / format was the same on the new GPS to the one you got them off in regards to minutes an seconds an 3 decimal place minute and decimal minutes.ie 30 seconds equald 0.5 decimal minutes eg

38° 26.755' S 145° 10.353' E which is Degrees Minutes & Decimal minutes to 3 decimal places.

38° 26' 45.30" S 145° 10' 21.18" E which is Degrees Minutes Seconds which would be (for the example converted like for input with Google earth)

How to convert them. Well all I do is change setting in GPS so I input them in the format they came in and then change my settings back to WGS84 and the GPS does it automatically but no doubt there will be a smarty pants web site somewhere.

Edited by pelican

its lowrance lms527c internal antenna! brand new model!

is it possible my book had wrong marks?

osborn, s34.03.670 e151.11.280

watts, s34.08.080 e151.11.298

also when i get a map card for it will i be able to find the reef on the map and navigate there knowing that the marks may be different, if that makes sense?