Fishing Spots Kioloa/bawley Pt?

yakfishing

Gday,

Im planning a trip down the NSW south coast, I will be staying in Kioloa. Has anyone fished down there before and could recommend any good spots/techniques around that area? ie willinga lake, Meroo lake, how do they fish? Also Brush island, Ive only estuary fished in my yak so far, would it be dicey getting out to the island? Any thing landbased too - beach/wharf, I wanna fish my arse off while im down there

cheeeers

• Like 1

Yakfishing

I grew up fishing Bawley Point and can offer the following advice:

• Willinga lake is not generally a good producer of fish unless it has been open to the sea for a little while (which is rare). It's really not very big and I've only ever heard of the odd bream and mullett being pulled out.
  • Meroo Lake is much bigger than Willinga and is rarely fished to my knowledge (due to its relative isolation). I've wondered for a while what sort of fishing would be on offer to a yak fisho - maybe EPs and Bass in addition to bream and mullet? If you've got the time I'd definitely give it a go, and if you do PLEASE let me know how you do.
  • Both of the above estuaries empty onto good Jew beaches and if either is open to the sea then a night jew session would likely be productive
  • Brush Island is a pretty wild place at times, although the leeward side is usually quite calm. If you launch from the southern end of Murramarang beach you should be able to paddle out no worries but I wouldn't recommend venturing to the seaward side!! Plenty of flatties available drifting around this area and who knows what else.
  • All rocky headlands at Bawley are excellent producers of blackies and drummer. Burley hard and you will achieve a good bag
  • All rocky headlands also produce great Tailor and Salmon. Ganged pillies tossed out at dawn and dusk (as far out the point as you dare to go) are almost guaranteed
  • Squid are available off the gantry in the evenings. In a big swell this area also produces pretty much every other type of fish - tailor, bream, blackies etc.
  • Don't forget the beaches - all the Bawley beaches produce fish but Murramarang and Racecoursea are really good for a variety of species. Bawley, Cormorant and Gannet beaches all have good whiting popultaions and North Beach (dunno its actual name but it's the one Willinga lake empties through - so I guess it's probably called Willinga beach) is great for bream and the occasional jew. North Beach and Racecourse are also the go if you want to collect beachworms.
  • Nuggen point at the north end of North Beach has some very deep water on the northern side and is rumoured to produce good snapper and kingies at first light. I've never had much luck there myself though on anything other than blackies and drummer - despite it looking like a ripper spot.

Bottom line is that the whole Bawley Point/Kioloa area is a VERY fish-rich one, and intelligent fishing practices will almost always result in a good bag. The Tailor sessions off Bawley Point itself in the evenings are legendary - it's not uncommon to hook over 30 fish and go through a whole block of pillies in the hour before dark when fishing from the south eastern tip of the point as the Noreaster dies for the day. Careful of the swell here though as I've seen many a fisherman washed in (all survived with minor cuts and bruises).

Good luck Yakfishing and I look forward to the report!!

• Like 1

G'day,

I fished nuggen pt a month ago and did well on metal lures pulling several tailor and salmon. The point sticks out nicely into deep water and produces a nice trail of whitewash in either a northerly or southerly direction depending on the wind. It also has a gentle slope which made it safe and easy to fish.

Briefly checked out meroo lake. It seems very shallow but would be great to explore in a kayak.

Its a top part of the world; enjoy.

Cheers

Sweet, thanks Humesy. Im inexperienced with the metals (only just started on lures with the plastics) which ones are good and how do you work them, is it just a fast retrieve?

PS love your signature that is something I should really take to heart!

Sweet, thanks Humesy. Im inexperienced with the metals (only just started on lures with the plastics) which ones are good and how do you work them, is it just a fast retrieve?

PS love your signature that is something I should really take to heart!

Just cast them out and rip them in. You can also add a few pauses and jerks in for good measure. Remember the lure is supposed to resemble a wounded fleeing bait fish. Try something shiny with a weight of 45-60g. I don't know them by name but any tackle shop will put you onto a suitable lure as this technique has been used for donkeys years I would think. Also remember to use the whitewater as this is where the tailor/salmon will be hunting/hiding. I also had interest in the large sluggos. They can be worked more slowly and eratically near the surface.

Great tips from Mondo by the way. That sort of info is gold.

Cheers