Welcome to Fishraider

Welcome to Fishraider, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Fishraider by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Photo

Cooking Eel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hookm

hookm

PILCHARD

• NEW MEMBERS
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:15 AM

Caught an eel the other day in port hacking.. Was pretty big and thought id keep it to give it a taste..
Any tips on skinning and preparing..

I heard smoking the eel is the best option. i remember seeing a video of peeling the skin AFTER smoking the eel? And apparently Vodka removes the "fishy" taste"- dont know if you skull the vokda before you eat it =) or marinate it in vokda..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Cephalopod

Cephalopod

JEWFISH

• ADDICTED MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:13 AM

Dude,

I don't know if the saltwater eel is any good. I know that fesh water eels are bloody marvellous either smoked or pan fried. I have watched them skinning them on Lifestyle FOOD.. they make a small incision behind teh head, grab the tag and peel the skin off. Then you can either fillet or make small cutlets.

Let us know either way.

Edited by Ceph, 14 February 2008 - 06:14 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   jewgaffer

jewgaffer

YELLOWFIN TUNA

• ETERNAL MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

If he survives to tell the story, that is Ceph, lol. Sorry, as far as I'm concerned nothing will make eels edible with or without a dose of Vodka.

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer, 14 February 2008 - 07:56 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   tumra

tumra

SNAPPER

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

i have caught a few in the georges in the past few years, and i hae always thrown them back.... so i guess you cant eat them????

#5 OFFLINE   flathead fanatic

flathead fanatic

MORWONG

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:33 AM

i'm with ceph on this one....i have eaten freshwater ones but not saltwater... good luck..

#6 OFFLINE   CaineS

CaineS

SNAPPER

• MEMBERS
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

i dont know allot about eels but dont allott of freshwater eels migrate into the salt to breed.

I am however, certain that all eels are the spawn of Beelzebub and deserve to be sent back to the firery pits of hell.
:orc:

#7 OFFLINE   Boofhead

Boofhead

SNAPPER

• GOLD MEMBER
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

I remember way back many many moons ago I went to Tamworth with my family on an annual bowhunters gathering. We caught an eel in a creek (Actually it was snagged on an old setline & we pulled it in after seeing it thrashing around in the shallows)

Anyway, my mum got told to shallow fry it in milk! Sounds weird I know but the vivid memory I have was that it was bloody delicious, even Dad had some and loved it after saying it would probably taste like crap.

Dunno exactly how it was prepared but I do remember the milk & shallow fry bit.

Update: I just spoke to my mum, she said they skinned the eel first, then she boiled it in milk & then dipped it in egg yolk & bread crumbs & THEN shallow fried. Yummy.

Edited by Boofhead, 07 March 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Mariner 31

Mariner 31

JEWFISH

• BANNED
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Haven't eaten eel for years but used to love it.
Hang it to the clothes line by wire, cut behind the head and use pliers or put salt on your hands to get a grip and pull like hell. We used to cut the eel into steaks, add alittle seasoning, then under the grill.
Can't go far wrong with that method.

#9 OFFLINE   Zuluboy

Zuluboy

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Caught an eel the other day in port hacking.. Was pretty big and thought id keep it to give it a taste..
Any tips on skinning and preparing..

I heard smoking the eel is the best option. i remember seeing a video of peeling the skin AFTER smoking the eel? And apparently Vodka removes the "fishy" taste"- dont know if you skull the vokda before you eat it =) or marinate it in vokda..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

As kids we used to catch alot of big Morey eels. The preference for consumption was either to smoke, which resulted in quite an oily fillet or to chargrill as steaks on the BBQ. Biggest problem is its pretty oily fare which I think is the point of the boiling in milk part.

To skin, cut behind the head and use pliers to pull toward the tail.

Nowadays as there are far better options I simply wouldnt bother, preferring to see them diving rather than on a plate

Edited by Zuluboy, 03 September 2008 - 04:47 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   flatty hunter626

flatty hunter626

SNAPPER

• BANNED
  • 640 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

i reckon they taste fine catch a heap of them up around the 7 and 8kg mark down berowra creek and they are bloody massive put up a good figh and have a heap of meat on them taste good just fried up with some lemon and garlic but taste even better cooked on the camp fire!.

cheers flatty hunter

#11 OFFLINE   davemmm

davemmm

JEWFISH

• ADDICTED MEMBER
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

We used to get quite a few down at Tuross.
My Uncle did the whole hang from a tree on a nail and skin them trick.
Unfortunately I wasnt old enough to drink then cause I reckon it would take a hell of a lot of vodka for them to taste even close to average.
I have given the freshwater ones a go a couple of years ago and they were at least edible.

All I do with Port Hacking eels is yell at them and swear at the fact I have lost a good bait to a crap fish.

DAVE