The Official Hairtail Report 2008

Gaddaaaayyyyyyyyyyy All,

Another roaring success on our third Annual Hairtail Social.

The fishing wasnt as good as previous years but our strike rate is still 100% on Hairtail for our Socials in 3 attempts which just goes to show how good the Fishraiders are at producing the goods.

The Sweeny aka Laurie and his deckie Greg were the only ones to capture a Hairtail on a very tough fishing weekend for all involved. Laurie scored the best Hairtail of 1170 mm and closely followed by Gregs Hairtail of 1120mms.Great effort gentlemen and you have done the Site proud with your efforts.

They also scored a nice bream,school jew,a nice tailor and a very respectable flathead as well,nice work.

The Fishraider Social Cruiser from Ripples was again a great hit for everyone who came aboard and I would like to thank our great crew of Flightmanager,mrsflightmanager,outdoordan,No 1 son,mrsswordies daughter and my darling girl mrsswordie for a great time on the Hawkesbury River.

We were moored up by 3 pm on Friday afternoon in Jerusalem Bay and treated to a delicious fillet mignon by our trusty chef Ross (Flightmanager) who is a wizz at everything from fine dining to BBQs.

The joint was jumping by 7 pm and we partied hard all night as raider after raider came aboard for a coffee or beer or just a chat or bite to eat and everyone was welcomed with open arms.

Friday night saw the only hairtail landed and from all the other reports the fish just werent on the chew :(

Many Raiders stayed all weekend in their small boats and its a credit to them as they are truly dedicated to stay on the water for 3 days without shelter.

Saturday dawned with perfect weather conditions and high hopes of catching a few fanged creatures but alas they just would not come to the party.

Speeking of parties the Fishraider Party boat went into full steam ahead on Saturday night with plenty of good times had by all and the music was pumping from disco to carole king and then juke box saturday night on 2ws and so it went till the wee hours of Sunday morning (WHAT A NIGHT) and didnt we pay for it on Sunday morning with the big job ahead of cleaning up for the trip back home.

I will let some of the others elaborate a bit more ,but suffice to say it was one of the best Social weekends Fishraiders have ever hosted and it will be on again next year for sure.

Thanks so much to everyone who attended and we will see you all again around the same time next year for a bigger and hopefully more productive time on the Hawkesbury River chasing our not so elusive fanged friends.

Here are some of the great shots of the weekend,ENJOY :yahoo:

This is Lauries fish on youtube :thumbup:

CLICK HERE

post-256-1217242257_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242284_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242298_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242368_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242380_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242393_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242409_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242427_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242440_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242456_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242472_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242497_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242520_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242544_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242563_thumb.jpg

post-256-1217242582_thumb.jpg

man am i now even more pissed my motor decided to throw a wobbly sat night...

put in at dusk to find throttle probs would only get me 6.8 knots due to a damn grommet seal i couldnt see in the dark restricting the linkages so stuck to pittwater for a couple hours for zip..

sounded out a few spots for lifeless water and then set pick at a reliable spot for only a couple baits picked a bit :thumbdown:

.. looks like a great time was had onboard the raider gin palace...

for the guys not doing good in jb theres always next week as last year we got quite a few the following week.. i think they have some sort of warning system that tells them the raider army is moving in on them and they hide till everyone leaves :074: ...

big :thumbup: for the raider team for organising such events like this....

well done to Laurie and Greg on proving they do exist :thumbup:

cheers...steve.....

What a top weekend :thumbup:

Thankyou to everyone who attended, and especially to the crew of the mother ship. It proves that its the company which can really make the trip a success. Even if the fishing wasn't too crash hot :thumbdown:

Cudos to Laurie and Greg on a great effort. :thumbup:

Ross, Your blood is truely worth bottling. Each and every meal you cooked was absoulutly astounding, and i throughly enjoyed everything you created. (For proof just look at the photo of me hookin into the lamb shank... Take No Prisoners!)

Once again a huge thankyou to Mr and Mrs swordy, Vanessa, Mr and Mrs Flightmanager and Brett for extending the invitation to join you on the mother ship. I had an unforgettable time, and can't wait to do it again.

Cheers

Despite my strongly held belief that Hairtail are a myth (the photos don't prove anything!) I had a really enjoyable night... probably made more so by the fact that I was tucked up in bed before midnight. Many thanks to you all for organising a great social. MV Fishraider was a haven of welcoming warmth and coffee (and the music and dancing made for a good floor show too!).

Cheers, Slinky

Great pics, fantastic company and an even better weekend! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The best i have had in a long time! With any other Mothership crew, it just wouldn't have been the same! It was the party boat all weekend long but the houseboat was PUMPIN' Saturday night, many many drinks, laughs and boogie on downs were had by all.

For those of you who don't know Swordfisherman has the moves! I'd post the link to the video of this on youtube but i feel it would only embarass me more!

So proud of the little fish that i caught and note the emphasis on the little!

During the course of the weekend i met some truly lovely people and very much look forward to seeing all of your smiling faces again soon!

Congrats to Laurie & Greg for catching the only 2 hairtail, too bad the rest of the "non-existent" fish weren't biting!

Thanks to the crew for organising such a fun & memorable event!

And as for our Head Chef Mr Flightmanager thank you so much for all the gorgeous food you prepared! I don't know how you found the time to fish you were always cooking up a storm!

This is the first Fishraider social i have attended and can easily see why running this site brings so much joy & pleasure to Mr & Mrs Swordfisherman (aka Mum & Stewy)!

Looking forward to the Back to the Bay Social in September!

G'day All ,

What a weekend !! We had the best time with the lovliest people , and we even managed to catch a few fish !!

Met up with everyone at Brooklyn and started the mammoth task of transferring all of our gear / food/ grog onto the mothership!! No small task , it took Dan , Stewy and I 2 trips each with 2 carts at a time to get it all onboard !! :1yikes: Donna and Vannessa then had to sort it out into some semblance of order , while we 3 men did blokey things like getting the 3 boats ready for the water !!!

We set sail and leisurely motored along the Hawkesbury in intermittent drizzle , Stewy and I electing to navigate our own vessels , radios blaring , and doing circles etc to let Dan and the girls catch up to us. An hour and a half later we had arrived at Jerusalem Bay , and moored the vessel up for the weekend !!

Finally had the galley set up to my liking , every available storage space was packed with yummy comestables for our gustation and delectation ( the place was packed with good tucker for us to eat and enjoy) , and I made a couple of trips to Parsley Bay to collect Mrsflightmanager and #1 Son .

Once we were all on board , it was time to have a few pre dinner drinkies , which was then followed by some dinner drinkies and dinner , and finally the post dinner drinks and chat/ dancing / hilarity!! Copious amounts of chocolate were also consumed , it was comfort food central !

We all surfaced pretty well on Saturday morning , and I set about getting brekky ready for our hungrycrew !! It was a beautiful morning , and there are few things better than cooking on a BBQ lookingout over the magnificent Hawkesbury early in the morning !!

Soon enough , it was time for lunch ( and some drinkies for the cook ) and the first of our Saturday anglers began to arrive to register. Fortunately we had ample supply of food and tea/ coffee , and all memebrs were made welcome and fed and watered as required !!

Time to get our fishing acts together , Stewy and I making our world famous burley , and #1 son trolling in the rowboat !! Time then for afternoon nibblies and associated drinking , welcomed more members , and had a few fortifying drinks to keep us going !!

Everyone on the mothership was quite relaxed by this stage , with much laughing / eating / drinking being the order of the day ! I had been preparing braised lamb shanks for most of the afternoon , and we all tucked in with gusto , nothing better than a hot meal at that time of the year when you are on the water !!

With everyone well fed , we had a few small libations to keep out the cold , then we decided some dancing would be a good idea . Many photo opportunities , gales of laughter and a few more drinks and it was time for bed.

Awoke on Sunday morning to another glorious day , and , low grade hangover notwithstanding , I prepared breakfast for a somewhat subdued Mothership crew! Did the tidy up as Stewy mentioned , and set sail for Ripples base , there was much conversation about how well the whole event went .

It was wonderful to meet Mrsswordiesdaughter , Vanessa , who is every bit as lovely as Mrsswordy herself !! She partied in true Fshraider style , and we were so happy she was able to join us !

Id like to thank Stewy and Donna for organising the houseboat , MrsFlightmanager for the million and one things she did to make sure it all went to plan .

Here are some of the pics I took ( well , the ones I am allowed to post anyway :074: )

post-2063-1217418366_thumb.jpg

Did someone say food?

post-2063-1217418436_thumb.jpg

Anyone for a chocky??

post-2063-1217418595_thumb.jpg

Our winning fish!

post-2063-1217418656_thumb.jpg

Stewy and Vanessa ( #1 Son trolling in background)

post-2063-1217418715_thumb.jpg

OutdoorDan and #1Son take a break

post-2063-1217418782_thumb.jpg

Stewy in action

post-2063-1217418848_thumb.jpg

Mrsflightmanager and OutdoorDan

post-2063-1217418908_thumb.jpg

Stewy fish whispering

post-2063-1217419052_thumb.jpg

Dan attacking a Lamb Shank

post-2063-1217419115_thumb.jpg

Vanessa and Mrs FM

post-2063-1217419196_thumb.jpg

The 3 Girls !

post-2063-1217419289_thumb.jpg

Thirsty work this partying !!

Ross

Looks like you guys had a nice time.

I laughed when i saw the person trolling in the row boat. Clearly the master out of the lot! :biggrin2:

Wish i could have come down with my boat but I guess i'll stick to warmer weather up here.

:1fishing1: Gday all just a quicknote to thank all who were responsible for organising and running the hairtail social.It was my pleasure in finally meeting you and putting some faces to names at long last.Well if you hadnt guessed we got zip on the berty but we kept all around us amused until 10.30 sunday morning when we slipped anchor and started for home.Hairtail 0 :1badmood: hangovers 6 :tease: deadmarines way too many to count :beersmile: Anyway now you know what the boat looks like if you see us call in and say hi cheers Rob and crew :1fishing1:

G'day All ,

What a weekend !! We had the best time with the lovliest people , and we even managed to catch a few fish !!

Met up with everyone at Brooklyn and started the mammoth task of transferring all of our gear / food/ grog onto the mothership!! No small task , it took Dan , Stewy and I 2 trips each with 2 carts at a time to get it all onboard !! :1yikes: Donna and Vannessa then had to sort it out into some semblance of order , while we 3 men did blokey things like getting the 3 boats ready for the water !!!

We set sail and leisurely motored along the Hawkesbury in intermittent drizzle , Stewy and I electing to navigate our own vessels , radios blaring , and doing circles etc to let Dan and the girls catch up to us. An hour and a half later we had arrived at Jerusalem Bay , and moored the vessel up for the weekend !!

Finally had the galley set up to my liking , every available storage space was packed with yummy comestables for our gustation and delectation ( the place was packed with good tucker for us to eat and enjoy) , and I made a couple of trips to Parsley Bay to collect Mrsflightmanager and #1 Son .

Once we were all on board , it was time to have a few pre dinner drinkies , which was then followed by some dinner drinkies and dinner , and finally the post dinner drinks and chat/ dancing / hilarity!! Copious amounts of chocolate were also consumed , it was comfort food central !

We all surfaced pretty well on Saturday morning , and I set about getting brekky ready for our hungrycrew !! It was a beautiful morning , and there are few things better than cooking on a BBQ lookingout over the magnificent Hawkesbury early in the morning !!

Soon enough , it was time for lunch ( and some drinkies for the cook ) and the first of our Saturday anglers began to arrive to register. Fortunately we had ample supply of food and tea/ coffee , and all memebrs were made welcome and fed and watered as required !!

Time to get our fishing acts together , Stewy and I making our world famous burley , and #1 son trolling in the rowboat !! Time then for afternoon nibblies and associated drinking , welcomed more members , and had a few fortifying drinks to keep us going !!

Everyone on the mothership was quite relaxed by this stage , with much laughing / eating / drinking being the order of the day ! I had been preparing braised lamb shanks for most of the afternoon , and we all tucked in with gusto , nothing better than a hot meal at that time of the year when you are on the water !!

With everyone well fed , we had a few small libations to keep out the cold , then we decided some dancing would be a good idea . Many photo opportunities , gales of laughter and a few more drinks and it was time for bed.

Awoke on Sunday morning to another glorious day , and , low grade hangover notwithstanding , I prepared breakfast for a somewhat subdued Mothership crew! Did the tidy up as Stewy mentioned , and set sail for Ripples base , there was much conversation about how well the whole event went .

It was wonderful to meet Mrsswordiesdaughter , Vanessa , who is every bit as lovely as Mrsswordy herself !! She partied in true Fshraider style , and we were so happy she was able to join us !

Id like to thank Stewy and Donna for organising the houseboat , MrsFlightmanager for the million and one things she did to make sure it all went to plan .

Here are some of the pics I took ( well , the ones I am allowed to post anyway :074: )

post-2063-1217418366_thumb.jpg

Did someone say food?

post-2063-1217418436_thumb.jpg

Anyone for a chocky??

post-2063-1217418595_thumb.jpg

Our winning fish!

post-2063-1217418656_thumb.jpg

Stewy and Vanessa ( #1 Son trolling in background)

post-2063-1217418715_thumb.jpg

OutdoorDan and #1Son take a break

post-2063-1217418782_thumb.jpg

Stewy in action

post-2063-1217418848_thumb.jpg

Mrsflightmanager and OutdoorDan

post-2063-1217418908_thumb.jpg

Stewy fish whispering

post-2063-1217419052_thumb.jpg

Dan attacking a Lamb Shank

post-2063-1217419115_thumb.jpg

Vanessa and Mrs FM

post-2063-1217419196_thumb.jpg

The 3 Girls !

post-2063-1217419289_thumb.jpg

Thirsty work this partying !!

Ross

Yeah, as per PM sent to you Ross..... wish I had of been able to make it.