Pelican Itch?

Yarraone

I have herd of this Pelican Itch before up at the Enterance area. I have also herd it can be very painfull..

What causes this itch? and what can you do for it, to releave the pain?

Does it have anything to do with the pelicans??

Why have I only herd of this up around the Enterance?

Its actually a parasite that burrows in to the skin during its larve stage and has nothing to do with pelicans, although I guess they get it to, as it seeks out warm blooded critters. I've had it heaps but it has never caused any pain, but the constant itch is a major pain. Stuff like "Stop Itch" normally works, but the old man used to put vinegar on it, cant actually remember if it worked or not.

I just found this article for those of you that are interested..........

Dr Walker stated that the blood fluke Austrobilharzia terrigalensis was the most common cause of the 'itch' in coastal waters in NSW, where the water temperature exceeded 24 degrees. The itch, variously referred to as Swimmers Itch, Pelican Itch, Terrigal Itch and Narrabeen Itch is caused by the parasite penetrating the skin and then dying. Narrabeen Itch can be contracted when wading or bathing in fresh or salt water in areas infested by parasitic schistosome flat worms.

The life-cycle of the flatworm is complex and involves two hosts - one a vertebrate, usually a bird such as a seagull and the other an invertebrate. At Narrabeen Lagoon, the invertebrate host is the water snail Batillaria australis. Austrobilharzia terrigalensis was first discovered living in the blood vessels of a seagull from Terrigal. However, the organism is found more widely around the coast of Australia, wherever the seagulls and the intermediate host snails occur together on the shore. Some studies show about 75% of birds tested in the Narrabeen Lagoon are infected. Batillaria occurs in Narrabeen Lagoon in millions.

When the water temperature reaches at least 24 degrees, the parasite leaves the snail and moves to the surface of the water seeking contact with a bird - it is here that it sometimes accidentally encounters a human, buries into the skin but cannot reach blood and then dies. The life-cycle of the parasite is broken at this point. The immune response to the dead larva is the cause of the rash that develops some time later. It usually only becomes itchy if scratched or rubbed by clothing. If not scratched and infected, the lesions normally recede and disappear after two to three weeks.

:beersmile:

If you want pictures...i have them! Stupid little bite like sores (though they're not). Takes forever to go away, had them for about two weeks and it takes approximatly 1 day to develop the sore like things. I had them not too long ago contracted from narrabeen lagoon :1badmood: Guess ill use waders next time =D

Justin :1fishing1:

I just found this article for those of you that are interested..........

Dr Walker stated that the blood fluke Austrobilharzia terrigalensis was the most common cause of the 'itch' in coastal waters in NSW, where the water temperature exceeded 24 degrees. The itch, variously referred to as Swimmers Itch, Pelican Itch, Terrigal Itch and Narrabeen Itch is caused by the parasite penetrating the skin and then dying. Narrabeen Itch can be contracted when wading or bathing in fresh or salt water in areas infested by parasitic schistosome flat worms.

The life-cycle of the flatworm is complex and involves two hosts - one a vertebrate, usually a bird such as a seagull and the other an invertebrate. At Narrabeen Lagoon, the invertebrate host is the water snail Batillaria australis. Austrobilharzia terrigalensis was first discovered living in the blood vessels of a seagull from Terrigal. However, the organism is found more widely around the coast of Australia, wherever the seagulls and the intermediate host snails occur together on the shore. Some studies show about 75% of birds tested in the Narrabeen Lagoon are infected. Batillaria occurs in Narrabeen Lagoon in millions.

When the water temperature reaches at least 24 degrees, the parasite leaves the snail and moves to the surface of the water seeking contact with a bird - it is here that it sometimes accidentally encounters a human, buries into the skin but cannot reach blood and then dies. The life-cycle of the parasite is broken at this point. The immune response to the dead larva is the cause of the rash that develops some time later. It usually only becomes itchy if scratched or rubbed by clothing. If not scratched and infected, the lesions normally recede and disappear after two to three weeks.

:beersmile:

That is an excellent reply, I found similar information years ago after a bad reaction to a nights prawning at The Entrance and another after a morning swim in Lake Macquarie years later. Waders are definitely required in the warmer months and watch the Kids in the lakes about this time. Pelicans are part of the cycle as you say as they are part of the bird population. Lake Liddel is also infected and water skiers launching their boats get infected on their legs.

Regards Saltrix