Catfish Sting At Mooney Mooney =/

jaydee

hey guys, got my first sting from a fish this morning at about 2:10am this morning off the new rock walls next to the mooney mooney bridge.

first time i ever fished there and first time i ever got those ugly catfish as im used to bream, moeys, sweep, snapper from boats etc..

anyhoo, long story short, trying to dehook with pliers, the bastard nipped me and the barb broke off in my left index finger. the catfish was only a small one, and the barb got me good in the finger to. i managed to pull the barb out with pliers, at least i think i got the whole thing out and now its 7am and still hurting..

ive taken a few herron tablets about 15 mins ago and waiting for those to kick in but wondering if i should see a doctor today about it as i read on here that another guy was in hospital for 4 days cause of a sting.. i dont think mine is as bad cause only my finger is a little swallon but the pain is not very nice out of warm/hot water lol.

or should i be right to wait a day and see if the pain dies down, but i guess i need some antibiotics right to clear any infections that may arise?

any advice would be great, oh and next time i'll know to just use my long nose pliers and keep well away from those barbs haha

thanks guys

jaydee

hey guys, got my first sting from a fish this morning at about 2:10am this morning off the new rock walls next to the mooney mooney bridge.

first time i ever fished there and first time i ever got those ugly catfish as im used to bream, moeys, sweep, snapper from boats etc..

anyhoo, long story short, trying to dehook with pliers, the bastard nipped me and the barb broke off in my left index finger. the catfish was only a small one, and the barb got me good in the finger to. i managed to pull the barb out with pliers, at least i think i got the whole thing out and now its 7am and still hurting..

ive taken a few herron tablets about 15 mins ago and waiting for those to kick in but wondering if i should see a doctor today about it as i read on here that another guy was in hospital for 4 days cause of a sting.. i dont think mine is as bad cause only my finger is a little swallon but the pain is not very nice out of warm/hot water lol.

or should i be right to wait a day and see if the pain dies down, but i guess i need some antibiotics right to clear any infections that may arise?

any advice would be great, oh and next time i'll know to just use my long nose pliers and keep well away from those barbs haha

thanks guys

jaydee

Hi jaydee - swelling, redness and pain hmmmmm. I would advise having a doctor check it out to confirm that you have no fragments left in that wound.

Good luck with it :thumbup:

Hey there Jaydee.

We were out on the river yesterday and another boat came in with a fisho who had a sting as well and the owner of the boat hire said to put his left hand in a container of hot water as hot as he could handle and then put his right hand in it next.(This is the stung one :1prop: )As for how long and how many times I cannot help as I was more interested in chatting to the others about there catch and all that.Sorry about this so I guess you have to take it from there and decide your fate :wacko:

"I'm guessing only that you should keep it in there as long as possible"

By the way we only managed a nice fat flatty of 58cm and a million catfish that we were not taking any chances with and just sacrificed our hooks.On the way home we did however think that we should have slit there throuts as there seem to be an abundance of them and you will most likely end up catching all the released ones all the time.

Anyway that is my 5cents worth.

Cheers Clem

Oh I hate eel-tails... I've been stung once too. Same sort of situation, fishing the pines, trying to get a hook out, and I had the bugger wrapped in a towel. I didn't realise they had a spine on the top of their head too, and that's the one that got me - it went through the towel, into my finger, and all the way to the bone.

Well, I let out the loudest expletive that I have ever mouthed.

It was sore for the rest of the morning trip, and then was right after that. No side affects for me. I didn't perceive any danger cause I hadn't seen them flagged as a dangerous fish.

I caught a small stingray in a witches hat near juno not long ago, and I noted that the spines on the ray were very similar to those on the catfish. But the ray had a set of three in the one spot, about half way up its tail.

Hope you are feeling better now.

Edited by Seagoon

yeah guys thanks for all the replies

its 11:30 now, i feel asleep again, been sleeping lots for some reason.. but in the past 30 mins, the pain died down sooo much.. it still hurts but its a little more easier to live with now.

you can barely even see the entry wound haha, no redness, just a little swelling, so i'll see how it looks tomorro, might still see a doctor though in case it does get infected