Why Is My Line Twisting All The Time

Wrong Size

Hey raiders

I go fishing all the time up the coast .

I am surf fishing using an Alvey reel with 9lb fluro after 4 or 5 casts I get massive line twist

spend 1/2 hour untangleing while everyone around me is catching fish I am pulling my hair out

So being a long time reader thought I better post and ask what's the secret to eliminating line twist

I already use 2 swivels on my rig but still get the dreaded twist and I ain't chubby checker lol

Please help me

Edited by Wrong Size

What size swivvels are you using.

Always use the smallest possible high quality swivel. They don't work if the line is too limp to turn the swivel against its internal friction.

What BS line are you using?

Cheers

Chris

Line twist is a right pain in the bum and I've been hitting the beach lately

after a long absence from fishing due to personal issues.

I've been chasing tailor, salmon and bream mostly either at dawn or dusk and hopefully

co-inciding with a high or low tide.

Been doing OK but using my Alvey has been giving me line twists, so much so that the other

day I had to give it away and go home to walk out my line.

Line is 8lb Vanish and small ball swivel above and below a #4 sinker, then Seaguar flouro 10lb leader to

whatever hook I'm using.

Here's a nice 36cm bream that hit my bait yesterday arvo:

post-1685-1246328296_thumb.jpg

Well...I've been on the hunt for a solution and just happenned to switch on the telly on ABC3

and saw an old (2 years old) episode of the New Inventors.

One of that episode's inventions was a fellow in Qld who had the same line twist problem

using side cast reels and invented a finned sinker that takes the twist out as you retrieve

your line.

So I contacted him after hunting him down via Google and purchased some #4 and #5 sinkers.

They arrived today in the mail (as well as some #6 & #7 samples kindly) and I can't wait to give them a try on the beach later this week.

He swears that his finned sinker (made from zinc, not lead for enviro. reasons) works every time

and eliminates line twist forever.

Here's some pics of the #4's..notice the two fins that spin it in an anti clockwise direction.

post-1685-1246328923_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1246328894_thumb.jpg

I won't mention his company or name to comply with FR rules, but I will post the results after I give them a shot off the beach.

Cheers,

Pete.

ps..nice to get back to a bit of fishing!! :yahoo:

Edited by MallacootaPete

I gave the new finned sinkers a run at Nth Narrabeen Beach this arvo

to see how they went with the line twist problem...and bugger me..THEY WORK!!

No line twists at all and sure made fishing with the Alvey a lot easier.

I seemed to get better casting distance using them as well for some reason..perhaps because

they are a little lighter being made of zinc.

Fishing was crap...lost one nice fish that the hooks pulled..probably a tailor, one baby flattie

that scoffed a pillie almost as big as him...then the crabs moved in making life tough so gave it away.

The exercise today was to try out these new sinkers anyway and that was very successful.

So one happier beach fisho here now that the dreaded twist is no longer.

Cheers,

Pete.

Great to hear you getting for a fish again Pete. :thumbup:

Those sinkers sound like a terrific solution. I don't use alveys because I just don't like them. I can see how they can be a huge advantage when beach fishing & know that they have a very loyal following. If you live & fish in QLD & don't own an alvey then you're not a Queenslander :074: . Any solution to the line twist problem is a wonderful thing.

Gotta love the new inventors!

Cheers,

Grant.

• 8 years later...

I know this post is getting to 9 years old but for the life of me a cannot find a search that gets me to these finned sinkers. I am an Alvey fan and want to totally eliminate twist. Done all the other stuff with swivels and line loading Hints please without breaking the rules

15 hours ago, Terry Ham said:

I know this post is getting to 9 years old but for the life of me a cannot find a search that gets me to these finned sinkers. I am an Alvey fan and want to totally eliminate twist. Done all the other stuff with swivels and line loading Hints please without breaking the rules

Terry message @Jewhunter

On 9/13/2017 at 4:31 PM, Terry Ham said:

Another Alvey fan here.

Have a look here as an another option:

I saw very similar untwisting casting sinkers on Ebay with delivery to AU sometime ago. If you deside to buy them - make sure they are cut like (the cut direction) in above fishraider link.

I use untwisting sinker of my own design while the implemented idea is rather similar to above mentioned. I cast them several times once in probably 3 fishing sessions to remove the existing twist and to twist the line  a bit into the opposite direction, and then I fish unweighted or with heavier sinker or paternoster as I wish.