Wisemans Ferry/laughtondale (no Good)

Brado

Hey all,

Went down to Wisemans Ferry on Saturday night. Last minute decision. Got some Hawkesbury Prawns thank god but no time to get some other larger baits. Tried a spot I had heard some good things about. Fished the last of the run out and the beginning of the run in. Cold, wet :1badmood: and 1,000 catfish later.....I left.

Havn't got a decent fish down there for nearly 12 months. Slowly losing interest in the area, :mad3: though I keep going back. My best Jewie (so far) was caught down there so there is still a glimmer of hope.

Hope the fishing is better else where.

Happy hunting.

Brado

I was there for a "boys weekend" on a house boat at the end of september, and decided that saturday night was going to be my fishing night. 11 blokes on a fantastic houseboat (complete with spa bath on the upper deck), and i was the only one fishing.

After a fantastic dinner (angus beef steaks ....... one of our mates is a chef), I go back to the aft deck to check my lines and I see another houseboat coming up river, flashing his spotlights, his horm blaring, and some guys on the front screaming something. If you all remember, it was windy that weekend....just after the dust storm......it turns out we were drifting.

The wind had pushed us around that much, that we had drifted down river about 300m at about 8.00pm that night, with anchor well and truly out.

we got the anchor secured again, and things settled down a bit, so I went back to fishing.

I had three lines out.....6lb braid with pilchard tail, 30lb braid with hold ganged pilchard, and a 6lb mono with a prawn (frozen). After catching my second eel for the weekend, I was going to call it quits at about 11.00pm, when my 6lb braid line goes off......I pick it up, and realise I have a decent fish.......and then realise my net is my boat, which is tied to the side of the houseboat.

After banging on the back door, a few of the guys come out to see what he fuss is about, and see my rod bent right over.

After a few minutes I have my first ever jewie in the net.....not huge at 49cms, but it was first and I was shaking from the adreniline......nothing that a :beersmile: could't fix though.

I don't mean to steal your thread with the above tale Brado, but there are still fish there. I also caught a flatty....only 32cm so he went back in.

I think the further away from the traffic you are there, the better.

I caught the jew at the first left hand bend of the river, downstream from the ferry (old nothern road).

Apparently it's much better down towards spencer, as there is even less boat traffic spooking the fish.

Taps.

Spemcer at the bottom of the divvy (the big hill leading in) is the place to fish.

Anywhere along the bank or from the wharf in front of the shops

My aunty used to live there, the best bait for that area are nippers, prawns and mullet gut.

If you fish up river at the weir there are EP's you can get on plastics and also HB lures.

Better luck next time, do try Spencer though as my family used to catch heaps on family outings, but then as other member have said it was a long time ago (ike 30years nearly).

Spemcer at the bottom of the divvy (the big hill leading in) is the place to fish.

Anywhere along the bank or from the wharf in front of the shops

My aunty used to live there, the best bait for that area are nippers, prawns and mullet gut.

If you fish up river at the weir there are EP's you can get on plastics and also HB lures.

Better luck next time, do try Spencer though as my family used to catch heaps on family outings, but then as other member have said it was a long time ago (ike 30years nearly).

Hi Jewiehaven

I'm heading up Spencer way for a weekend in afew weeks with some family for a fish. I was just looking on a map and was wondering if you meant the bank west of the spencer shops or east towards government wharf.

We will have access to a boat and any help to try and find a few fish would be great.

Cheers Bream Chaser

Im heading down there tomorow for my footy team's 'end of season celebration', my mate's dad has got 2 jetskis and a ski boat so we will be burning some serious petrol for the next 3 days, not too sure if i will get any fishing in but we will see.

If anybody does plan on wetting a line down there this weekend i would recommend that you dont do so if you see us in the vicinity, i doubt the fish would hang around there.

We'd be pretty hard to miss, 18 boys all my age (15), and 3 dads. :1prop::1prop:

Should be great fun, but yeah ive never been to wiseman's ferry but according to the dad who owns the boat its more of a skiers/speed freaks/petrol head's playground than a fishermans?

I dono..

Cheers, James :1fishing1:

Hi Brado,

Don't give up on the area,like most spots on the Hawkesbury, Wisemans Ferry is not always firing but when it does it fishes :1fishing1: just as well as other mixed bag spots. I've been fishing there on & of for the last 30 odd years & not much has changed. You have a great outing one day & not such a great one the next but either way it sure beats sitting at home or in the pub talking about how great it would be out fishing.

Regards Jeff

Hi Jewiehaven

I'm heading up Spencer way for a weekend in afew weeks with some family for a fish. I was just looking on a map and was wondering if you meant the bank west of the spencer shops or east towards government wharf.

We will have access to a boat and any help to try and find a few fish would be great.

Cheers Bream Chaser

Bream Chaser,

Anywhere along the bank should be OK, but you should try and locate the areas via google maps where the colour of the water gets darker as these are the spot where the holes are.

Also fishing where there are weed beds and they meet sandy bottom will be good for flatties, bream and whiting.

Sorry cannot be more specific its been such a long time sonce I was there I would have to check a map myself to get the exact location but either side of the shops on the bank are the rough whereabouts we used to fish with my grandfather and uncles.

Good place to try floating for Mullet as there are some big bully's there and with some good old fashioned berley (bread) and use pudding for bait they pull like trains on light gear and are a real sport fish- and they make great Jewie and flattie baits if you use them live or slab em up fresh on the spot.