Welcome to Fishraider

Welcome to Fishraider, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Fishraider by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Photo

Do You Need A Boat Licence?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bustoff

bustoff

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

hi guys,

Just a quick question what are the rules on boat licences if i buy a tinny with a small motor say a 9.9hp or below do i need to have a boat licence or is it only for larger boats???

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Hodgey

Hodgey

YELLOWFIN TUNA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Here's the link you need, mate:

Boat licence

Cheers

Hodgey

#3 OFFLINE   bustoff

bustoff

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Here's the link you need, mate:

Boat licence

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks for that mate was quite confused some people have told me that it depended on the size of the boat motor or the boat

#4 OFFLINE   Dave B

Dave B

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

I understand that motor size over 5hp requires the boat to be registered,probably where the confusion arose.
Dave.

#5 OFFLINE   BFB

BFB

WHITING

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

B)-->
QUOTE(Dave B @ Nov 21 2009, 08:31 AM)  

I understand that motor size over 5hp requires the boat to be registered,probably where the confusion arose.
Dave.
[/quote]

The requirement for a boat registration is the same as the requirement for a license, i.e. if the boat can travel at a speed of 10 knots or more it is required to be registered.

#6 OFFLINE   Dave B

Dave B

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

http://www.maritime....rt1.pdf#page=14
Dave.