Welcome to Fishraider

Welcome to Fishraider, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Fishraider by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Photo

Pejar Dam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swordfisherman

swordfisherman

SWORDFISH

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,403 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have been hangin out to try Pejar Dam lately after the dam had been restocked after the dam suffered a complete empty out from the drought a few years ago :( This dam used to produce some great rainbow and brown trout on lures and flies as well as the humble garden worms and mudeyes.

I was with good mate Chris(Smitty) pictured in his new waders and first time fly rodder :biggrin2:

Attached File IMGP4715.JPG   395.84KB  14 downloads

We started around 4pm with the trusty old spin sticks and celtas in green and gold and red and gold and after 3 hours only Smitty had a hit and almost landed a nice rainbow around a kg ,but pulled the hooks right at the waters edge(at least there are fish in the dam).

We fished till dark with the lures then changed over to the fly rods with Craigs Nightimes (mudeye pattern) and we cast our arms off for not one hit :1badmood: left at 9.30 pm with our tails between our legs and a little dissapointed.

Looks like the dam is around half full now and there are tiger snakes around as well :1yikes: seen a couple and thank god for waders in the long grass.

Cheers Stewy

#2 OFFLINE   Young Gun

Young Gun

MORWONG

• BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

Good on you stewy, bad luck on the rainbow though. Looks like a very nice place.

YG

#3 OFFLINE   Smitty

Smitty

WHITING

• GOLD MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Was a nice way to spend a summers afternoon anyway mate, I would never have thought of trout fishing in the middle of summer! You sweat sooo much in those waders that we might as well have just walked in in our clothes :wacko: . But it did cool off very quickly when the sun went down.

Bit of a pity we couldn't get into a few more fish (read any) but we did at least prove that there are still trout in the dam.

Pejar sure is a nice looking spot and I'm sure I try it again some time in the not too distant future.

Here are a couple of pics I took.

Attached File 100_1346_post.JPG   92KB  6 downloads

Attached File 100_1347post.JPG   147.88KB  11 downloads

Attached File 100_1349post.JPG   148.75KB  5 downloads

Thanks for a fun afternoon mate.

Cheers,
Smitty...

#4 OFFLINE   Matt

Matt

TAILOR

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Sorry I couldn't join you Stewy, lake looks great! Love those drowned thistles, bet there should be some good fish working in there on dusk and dawn, did you see any rising fish?

I am still keen to give a good shot, am up in the Snowies for a couple of days doing the family xmas thing but will give the lakes a go here again. When I get back though we should book a day in to give Pejar another go.

Cheers
Windy

#5 OFFLINE   swordfisherman

swordfisherman

SWORDFISH

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,403 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Sorry I couldn't join you Stewy, lake looks great! Love those drowned thistles, bet there should be some good fish working in there on dusk and dawn, did you see any rising fish?

I am still keen to give a good shot, am up in the Snowies for a couple of days doing the family xmas thing but will give the lakes a go here again. When I get back though we should book a day in to give Pejar another go.

Cheers
Windy

That was the worst part ,Windy....no rises at all :( even after dark and there were plenty of insects around.

Cheers Stewy

#6 OFFLINE   fishingphase

fishingphase

JEWFISH

• ADDICTED MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Thats a great photo you got there....

#7 OFFLINE   slinkymalinky

slinkymalinky

MAKO

• GOLD MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Sounds like a tough session but it's always great to be on the water. Bad luck with the Rainbow, Smitty and congrats to both of you for avoiding the Tiger Snakes.

Cheers, Slinky