Sewerage Into Sydney Oceans

stylo

Saw this on the news yesterday.

Sewer is being poured into our oceans near South Head ? Apparently fecal particles (PPM) are I think 1,000 higher than safe levels and some other nasties are pouring too including what looked like used tissue papers ...

Anyone else see this - can you shed some light on this ?

Saw this on the news yesterday.

Sewer is being poured into our oceans near South Head ? Apparently fecal particles (PPM) are I think 1,000 higher than safe levels and some other nasties are pouring too including what looked like used tissue papers ...

Anyone else see this - can you shed some light on this ?

the local rock fishermen know that for years there is sewer overflows at the spot they showed on tv it ussually discharges after a lot of rain as there are overflows all around the coast but they extend further into the ocean

arrr the stink pipe at roser gully i know it well

this is not an over flow it is a storm water pipe that has a fair few houses sewer pipes plumbed into it i have fished off the rockes right on top off this outlet and seen every thing come out even straight oil

i tryed to report the oil to anyone that would listen no one would admit it was a shit out let and i was told it was storm water out let

shit comes out this pipe 24-7 365 days a year

the only good thing is at least it is rich peoples poo truely a place to fish with your mouth closed

cheers gary

I worked on the Sewerage outfall 20 years ago when it was installed , and found out many disturbing things whilst I was there.

The sewerage treatment plant was originally built in the 1800's , and for over a hundred years , moderately treated sewerage was just pumped straight into the ocean ,at the base of the cliffs at Bondi. ( The blackfish back in those days were huge , all that fertiliser created a lot of weed !). In its original incarnation , The Bondi STP was only ever designed to treat sewerage for a population of approx 1.5 Million people. As the population increased , the plant was enlarged and modernised , but was still struggling to cope with Sydneys increasing population. In the late 1980's , the cliff at the STP was hollowed out even further , to house the huge pumps that would send the treated sewerage 5 miles out to sea.

At least , that was the theory. If there is a period of heavy rain , or even a 1 hour downpour in the CBD , the plant GOES INTO AUTOMATIC BYPASS. In other words , raw sewage and stormwater are once again pumped directly into the ocean from the old outlet. To the best of my knowledge , this is still the case .

Ross

Ross is spot on here. I did a major research paper on this in my final year of my degree. After major rainfall the overflow outlets are used automatically, its quite common for Lane Cove River, Narrabeen Lakes, and other Sydney waterways to have discharge released directly into them without filtration, from stormwater and sewerage alike.

Dan

When it happens (an overflow) its reported to Sydney Water and it gets posted up here

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/OurSystemsandOperations/SewageOverflows/

Another good tool to keep an eye on the water quality where you are fishing is through the Beachwatch program

ocean beaches - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/beachapp/beachupd.aspx

harbour/inlcosed water beaches - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/beachapp/hbrupd.aspx

you may think that a shit out let is gross but i can tell you the fishing at north head and bondi back before deep water out lets was red hot

it takes about half an hour to get used to the smell but was well worth it one off the best sessions i have ever had was at bondi

fillets off pillys cast on top off the boil with very little weight acounted for 120 teves in 4 hours between two fishermen

all fish released as the treves had brown stains on there mouths and the lundric also had brown mouths[not a joke they were brown]

the best rigg for treves was an a t l [artafishal toilet paper lure]shreded squid made to look like dunny paper best bait for bream was corn curnals

i know what your all thinking[what a sick puppy]but the best thing was it did'nt matter what the weather or tide or bp was if the water was brown the fish were around :074:

cheers gary