Welcome to Fishraider

Welcome to Fishraider, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Fishraider by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Photo

Braid Colour?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wish i had a stella

wish i had a stella

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

when picking braid does it really matter what colour it is? Can someone explain the difference between them, and uses eg blue for fly fishing?...... Which colour is seen less of in salt/fresh water.

#2 OFFLINE   jew chaser

jew chaser

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

the high viz ones are for when you throwing lures around snags/trees , the multi colored ones change colours every ten meters so you know how how much line to let out! say jigging for kings and you can see there 80 meters down on the sounder,,but honestly i don't think it really matters if your using clear leader, what colour your using, i like the grey/green

#3 OFFLINE   Breambucket

Breambucket

TAILOR

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

yeah deffently high vis for lure tossing especially when going light so you can see all the hits when the lure is droping

#4 OFFLINE   slinkymalinky

slinkymalinky

MAKO

• GOLD MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

G'day wish,

Braid colour is really about what you like to be looking at rather than visibility for the fish. As the guys said, bright colours (and also white) are easier for you to see so you can see where your lure or bait is and how it's behaving. For that reason its very popular for lure casting. It's also good as flyline backing so you can see where the tuna or trevally you're hooked up to is heading :biggrin2:

If you ever have a look at the 'low vis' colours like smoke or green, they're still quite visible under water compared to mono or fluorocarbon. That's why most fishos use leaders or when getting really sneaky, maybe even switch to straight fluorocarbon and dispense with the braid altogether.

Cheers, Slinky

#5 OFFLINE   wish i had a stella

wish i had a stella

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

thank you jew, bream and slinky. Went out and brought some line today. Blue line that is :)