Would You Eat This Blackfish?

Juzza

Does anyone else find that some of their blackfish are 'infected' with worms and/other weird things? Doctors are alright..but anything within the flesh seems to put me off a little. Most of the time i just cut off the offending piece of flesh. Other times i just throw the fillet away if it is not salvageable.

Here are just 2 of the pictures, there are probably 2 other scenarios that i have come up against...brown like worms and loads of black spots/splotches within and on the surface of the flesh.

post-6561-128360671746_thumb.jpg

post-6561-128360729594_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any experiences of thoughts they want to express on this topic?

Finally i have to say, they're a great fish with a good fight and taste pretty good =]

Justin :1fishing1:

Hi ya Juzza

I've eaten one similar to the top one after cutting out the wormy bit - when I skinned it, from memory, I just found a very red circle on the skin side. I'm still here to tell the story. Is the BOTTOM one the same fillet skinned or is it a separate fish? If the same fillet, it is a lot bigger & nastier looking than the one I had.

You could just cut the bottom section off - it is very localised. If you'd seen stuff branching out, sure toss it.

However, having said that .... if in doubt, chuck it out!!

Cheers

Roberta

Well done on getting into some blackies! :biggrin2:

Hi ya Juzza

I've eaten one similar to the top one after cutting out the wormy bit - when I skinned it, from memory, I just found a very red circle on the skin side. I'm still here to tell the story. Is the BOTTOM one the same fillet skinned or is it a separate fish? If the same fillet, it is a lot bigger & nastier looking than the one I had.

You could just cut the bottom section off - it is very localised. If you'd seen stuff branching out, sure toss it.

However, having said that .... if in doubt, chuck it out!!

Cheers

Roberta

Well done on getting into some blackies! :biggrin2:

I agree with the others and i wont risk eating the fish

These fish are from the northern beaches, some batches of fish i catch have them, some batches dont.

Both of these are from different fish. The one in the bottom picture, i think, had this very hard object in the skin (possibly a foreign body since its encapsulated by a cyst) however the skin was not broken and looked quite normal.

I find that if one of the fillets have something...then the other side a very likely to have it.

Im curious, you know how a large majority of jewfish (especially the larger fish) have worms in them. Do they look like the one in the first picture?

Justin :1fishing1:

ahahah, nah i didnt use the alvey, used a spinning reel with a 10ft rod. I havnt really used the combo i bought, its pretty much collecting dust at home ..

Yeh most of the fish were chucked if they had...worms...and other nasties in the flesh

It sure doesn't look pretty - and quite off-putting. But if you cut the tainted/ugly bits off and COOK the fillet there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

There are some fish parasites that can be transmitted to humans - but they are definitely killed by cooking.

Here's some good info based on science.

Parasites in Marine Fishes

How long should I cook fish to kill parasites?

Cooking fish to an internal temperature of 140°F will kill all fish nematodes and tapeworms. Normal cooking procedures generally exceed this temperature.

140°F is 60°C. So quite easy to make safe by cooking.

Interesting they say that bacterial contamination is more of a worry than stuff you can see like worms :1yikes:

The health risk from parasites is far less than the risk from "unseen" illness causing bacteria which are present on almost all foods.

Hope that helps

William