My Fisrt Jew Fish + Monster Flatty

Joco

TODAY i met up with fisher_doi (Johnny) and went for an afternoon session at our local waters....

NEVER fished the Chipping Norton system, BUT with Johnny and his stories, it seemed promising... I was excited....

We arrived at around 1430, and were on the wait for the tide to run out.... The weather was OK, it started to rain and there was minimal wind... What can i say, perfect weather for fishing, even though we were getting wet....

After a few flicks, we were joined by Johnny's friend Josh, and the tree of us started working the banks from one side to another....

Since i was new to the area, i started changing from plastics, to hard bodies lures, to blades etc to figure out what works (sizes, colours)

A little voice at the back of my head, told me to upgrade, so i did...

I wacked on a 10g jig head, with a 10cm Gulp plastic.... Four casts, one after another in the same spot, the plastic got hit (very softly)... There were teeth marks in the plastic, but i failed to hook the fish.... I thought to myself; it may be a small flatty, it could not have been a taylor....

By this stage the plastic was destroyed, so i wacked on a new one... Once again i casted in the same spot (fifth time), and even before the jig hit the bottom, i felt a slight pull (dejavu), i gave it a little nudge, and let it sink a little more.... Then another slight little pull, BUT this time i didnt react, then all of a sudden a run..... HURRAY im on....

The fish started swimming downstream and my reel started to scream... The rod bent half way, and i knew it was something solid....

A few short runs, it revealed itself from the deep, and it was a massive lizard.... Johnny got excited and was ready to jump in the water and bear hug the fish, since i left my net in the car (not expecting to catch a fish)....

With a 4kg rod, small 1000 reel, 4lb braid, no leader, the flatty decided to beach itself in a pool surrounded by rocks....

Johnny starter wrestling with the crocodile and it was impossible to take the fish out of the water...

My heart sank, once i saw the braid being cut of by the razor sharp teeth... I threw the rod on the ground, and joined in with Johnny to hand catch the fish...

After a few wrestles, Johhny managed to grab the fish with his hands...

The flatty measured 78cm.... It had a massive head on it.....

chippingnorton3.jpg

A few snaps later with my crapy phone camera, i persisted with the same plastic, casting at the same spot BUT failed to land another...

Johnny promised me a Jew fish and the pressure was on him...

At one stage just as the tide started to change, and daylight was to its end, i put on a blade...

First cast, the blade landed it the water, Josh said "thats the Jew spot"... I laughed, and said to myself, i wish, and to my surprise, wack, im on again... This time even before i pulled the fish to the surface, i heard Josh say "its a Jewie for sure"... Taking my time, the reel screamed a fair bit and it didnt seem like a small fish...

Bringing it to the surface, it ended up being my FIRST Jew Fish @50cm.... Its not a monster BUT still its my frist :)

THANKS to Johhny and Josh for taking me out and showing me the local waters... It was fun even though we fished for a couple of hours...

Now im hooked...

Hope to do it again soon...

chippingnorton17.jpg

Edited by Joco

Great report Jocothumbup.gif

Never fished up that way myself either.

Mate great work on 4lb. That's an awesome photo and the Flatties head looks like something from the old Muppet Show. Lucky you didn't lose a limb when you were both trying to pin her down.

Congrats on your 1st Jewie too. What a top little session1fishing1.gif

beersmile.gifBrad

Congratulations Joco on your first Jewie and that is a fantastic flattie :thumbup: . It is the largest flattie I have seen reported in the Georges for a while. Johnny has worked out the Chipping Norton lakes and I have noticed that he has more success using lures to catch Jewies than most.

onya joey,congrats brother,glad to be there with you & help you on your 1st jew.local ismstartn to pick up now,alot of smaller models lately but the bigguns will be around soon enough.& that flatty,what a ripper.iv never seen a flatty of that size with such a big head & wide girth.we'l get out again soon

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Is there any reason that you don't use any leader on your braid?

WELL it all depends on what im chasing...

If i am after bream, flatties, and other by-catch using 4lb braid, i avoid using leader...

Over many years of fishing, i have lost way too many big fish, due to the mono leader (6-8lb), being cut of by the fish, and also, there is a RISK that the leader will snap off from too much strain....

As a result, and a high propability of catching a flatty that are know to destroy leaders, i decide to stick with direct tie on, from braid to the snap on swivle....

I assume your a big fan of using leader??? Am i doing something wrong.... Please tell...

Edited by Joco

leader is a must mate, if ya get rubbed between snags or sharp rocks then the braid would sheer instantly....how much drag are ya fishing on your light gear? and what size leaders ya using that snapped and brand...... i totally vouch for 8lb black magic leader for my all round fishing light and have landed some big fish on that, but ya will always get busted off it comes with fishing light, ya win some ya lose some :thumbup: ....but ya get more action :thumbup: plus ya braid is visible to the fish more than some fluoro carbon leader :biggrin2: oh yeah and great way to pop ya jewy cherry mate :thumbup:

Ivz :beersmile:

Edited by IVZ350