Great Day Out On The Hacking

Basil D

Got up 6am to nice cuppa of coffee, got my son up at 6.45, got to the water 8.30am, headed out and found a lot of bird action and a trawler going by.

We chased the birds to about 3km out and got a donut, it was all bait fish with no predators there, Bloody trawler must have cleaned up :1badmood: , wake Greenies, these are the people you should be getting rid of and not us :1badmood: we then headed to the flathead Grounds and got 7 tasty fish.

Then we headed of to a reef spot for a bottom bash, Sorry George, this reef spot is another one and not the one you showed me.

we fished for hours, talk about non stop action, landed a 44cm whopping red rock cod, three Green eye with the largest been 89cm :1yikes: thats almost a meter, made my day, we got leather jackets and wrasse, and the amount of fish we let go was astonishing, must have been 40 or so fish,

My son Got his first Green eye Squid and gave me the biggest hug he has ever given me, Also My son got a leather jacket which looked to be around 70cm and dropped it, no thanks to me forgetting the landing net :1badmood:

Christo then got onto something huge, after a fifteen minute fight I grabbed the leader and guess what, the fish came off, poor christo, you should have seen his face, Don't worry I told him, look at what we got. :yahoo: The missus didnt end up coming along, Didnt want to get up this morning and said she wanted to sleep in, I could have taken you adjusted pete.

Got home and cooked up a feast, Flathead fillets and fries and calamari:yahoo:

My Brother comes up from Tassie on Thursday so going fishing again on friday or Saturday followed by the Grand final on Sunday, COMMON SAINTS, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :yahoo:

post-8352-068923000 1285673086_thumb.jpg

post-8352-045066800 1285673115_thumb.jpg

post-8352-023774800 1285673130_thumb.jpg

post-8352-058200200 1285673145_thumb.jpg

post-8352-060525600 1285673171_thumb.jpg

post-8352-046630900 1285673190_thumb.jpg

post-8352-033095600 1285673208_thumb.jpg

post-8352-052733200 1285673224_thumb.jpg

post-8352-077156600 1285673238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Nice catch...that is one huge squid. The areas where you mentioned the reef and squid ground is that accessible by kayak or would it be open ocean?

it is open ocean but hey, Ive seen kayaks outside :wacko: and on days like today, its not very rough at all :thumbup:

Great Session Groper,

That squid is a Tank catching fish of that size is good enough!!!! let alone a squid well done guys,

I am sure the Mrs was very happy once you got home with a feast like that!!!!

Hope your next trip is just as if not more successful!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Got up 6am to nice cuppa of coffee, got my son up at 6.45, got to the water 8.30am, headed out and found a lot of bird action and a trawler going by.

We chased the birds to about 3km out and got a donut, it was all bait fish with no predators there, Bloody trawler must have cleaned up :1badmood: , wake Greenies, these are the people you should be getting rid of and not us :1badmood: we then headed to the flathead Grounds and got 7 tasty fish.

Then we headed of to a reef spot for a bottom bash, Sorry George, this reef spot is another one and not the one you showed me.

we fished for hours, talk about non stop action, landed a 44cm whopping red rock cod, three Green eye with the largest been 89cm :1yikes: thats almost a meter, made my day, we got leather jackets and wrasse, and the amount of fish we let go was astonishing, must have been 40 or so fish,

My son Got his first Green eye Squid and gave me the biggest hug he has ever given me, Also My son got a leather jacket which looked to be around 70cm and dropped it, no thanks to me forgetting the landing net :1badmood:

Christo then got onto something huge, after a fifteen minute fight I grabbed the leader and guess what, the fish came off, poor christo, you should have seen his face, Don't worry I told him, look at what we got. :yahoo: The missus didnt end up coming along, Didnt want to get up this morning and said she wanted to sleep in, I could have taken you adjusted pete.

Got home and cooked up a feast, Flathead fillets and fries and calamari:yahoo:

My Brother comes up from Tassie on Thursday so going fishing again on friday or Saturday followed by the Grand final on Sunday, COMMON SAINTS, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :yahoo:

top result,how flat the sea looks.GO THE SAINTS YEEEEEEEAAAAAAA

Hi Groper,

Awesome catch....Cant beat those flatty fillets.

Just wondering if you could let me know of the rig that would catch those massive squid??? Do you use squid jigs or some other type of bait and hook??

Cheers

Jas

I used to think they are hard but not at all, you need to put in the hours, thats the first rule when fishing,(Thanks Bentstick)when fishing close to any headland, reef, you will get squid pinching your bait, you need a spike and a squid jig, when you sense they are at your bait go for them.

or you can just jig for them Mornings and evenings or cloudy day, you need a variety of jigs to try.they are there but what type of jig they will go for, it depends on time of day, night etc, as I said you need to put in the hours.

where abouts do you fish?

Edited by Groper

Don't worry about the amount of squid mate..... they tast just as good cold from the fridge the next day when you feel pickish, if you don't think so i will quickly come over and show you how.:thumbup:

:074: your welcome anytime george, anytime :thumbup:

Hay Basil were you at the bottom less pit again have you left any fish there for when we go haven't been out there for years the squid look awesome

The possibilities in the hacking is endless, the more time I spend there the more I learn how valuable a fishing and family and fun spot it is.