Prawning Techniques

acortilla

Hello all,

I wanted to try my hand at prawning (bait for me and a feed for the wifey) but really have no idea how to go about it. From what I have read it sounds like now is the time of year to have a crack.

Firstly is how? I did some prawning many, many, MANY years ago with my Dad in WA by pulling a net through the water between 2 people. I am not sure if this is a legal method anymore? I have read a bit in this forum about using prawning lights and scooping them up with a net. How does one go about that?

Secondly is where? I live in Sydney but have no problem with a bit of travel. Can prawns be caught in the Georges river, Botany, Hawkesbury, The Entrance??

I also hear a lot about moon phase. What is the best moon phase to try my hand?

Any other information you think may help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Azzo,

I've prawned at the Entrance a few times with some good success.The basic process is to wade out to about waist deep water with a hand net and prawnlight and stand still in the outflowing tide and scoop up the prawns as they try to swim past you out to sea. You need to head to the Southern bank at the carpark there just east of the main town. When the prawns are on you'll see quite a few other people down there so just follow them out and see what they do, they were all pretty friendly the times i was there :thumbup: In terms of when to go, from what i've seen you want to head out any nights from just before the new moon and through up to about a week after as this is when the prawns make their run out to see. Lastly, you'll see lots of blue swimmers heading out to sea as well, avoid taking these as they are females heading out to sea to spawn.

R

Hi Azzo,

I've prawned at the Entrance a few times with some good success.The basic process is to wade out to about waist deep water with a hand net and prawnlight and stand still in the outflowing tide and scoop up the prawns as they try to swim past you out to sea. You need to head to the Southern bank at the carpark there just east of the main town. When the prawns are on you'll see quite a few other people down there so just follow them out and see what they do, they were all pretty friendly the times i was there :thumbup: In terms of when to go, from what i've seen you want to head out any nights from just before the new moon and through up to about a week after as this is when the prawns make their run out to see. Lastly, you'll see lots of blue swimmers heading out to sea as well, avoid taking these as they are females heading out to sea to spawn.

R

Thanks for the info!! I've also read on several forums that you should be prawning at night when its dark and away from full moon.

I'm wondering if there are any tips on how to carry the 12v battery pack when you're wading?

I've thought about putting it in a bucket/box, but a bit worried that splashes or rain will cause problems.

Also, any advice on which prawning light is good? Went to BCF (boating camping fishing) store yesterday and there was a $25 prawning light and a $50 prawning light (neptune brand?). The store rep said the quality is about the same so we opted for cheaper one, however after about an hour it leaked with water and then became VERY dim. Took us like 15mins to shake the water out, but it became dim after 20mins going back into the water.

Hi AZZO, sounds like u bought a dodgey light there, ask for a refund then get a better one. but when u get it u have to seal all the joints with marine silicone . then get a motor bike battery & a small back pack to carry it in ....

cheers john

Two best options for the batteries that i have seen are either back packs or mount a box inside of a car tyre inner tube or on top of a bodyboard and then just tow it around behind you. The problem with the backpack is that it limits how deep you can go. Try and get a decent battery and maybe even leave a spare in the car as they will drain quickly and it sucks to have to leave when the prawns are on just beacuse your battery has died.

I've only ever bought the cheaper lights as i dont do it often enough to warrant spending any more on it. They have always been fine for me but if you plan to do it on a regular basis i would look at one of the better ones as they will last alot longer and they do put out more light than the cheapies. If you are on a budget you can even just use the old dolphin torch, not as good but it will still get you buy.

One thing to note too is that the torches heat up quickly if you have them on while out of the water and if you then put them in the water they will crack the glass so try to only turn them on when they are under the water.

R