Problem with Albright knot for Braid to mono

boy53

Hi All,

I'm currently having some problem with my fishing line. Mono always slip away with albright knot after fishing for few times. I have even tried with improved albright with super glue and I lost my mono line again (float + size 6 ball sinker + hook + pilchard). My last joint was before just X-mas and I caught over 45+ bonnies and salmons.

To give you details of my setup, i'm using Seagate 4500h has spooled up with 30lb braid then approx 6-7 meters of 40lb mono. I just need mono to cast so that I won't cut my hand with braid.

So i'm just wondering if you guys have the same problem or am I doing something wrong? Please give me some suggestion :(

Thanks.

Max

Thanks for reply ppl :)

@ locodave: I was thinking about using bandaid too. If i use just braid for spinning, you think fish can see the line? My braid is green colour.

@ leo: I was using double uni when i lost it at first time :(

@ scaffsta: I just watched video on slim beauty. I might give it ago.

I have also had problems with Albright braid/mono connections.

My solution has to been to plait a join between the two, and seems to work just fine. Goes through the guides easily as long as it is neatly trimmed.

Good luck,

Bob.

I use a slim beauty for light braid to mono/fluro leader. However when I use heavier braid to leader on my overhead outfit I tie a 40 turn bimini and then a locked albright for the wind on leader. I can yank the reef up with that leader connection on 30lb braid and 40lb leader with no separation of the knot.

You probably need to increase the amount of turns with your albright and then lock it by using the mono tag end to make a 3 turn lock knot. Also make sure the leader passes back through the loop in your braid in the same direction otherwise it wont close properly.

Look up "locked albright" in Google.

i have never had a knot slip on the albright even on 6lb braid -4lb leader i have even used it on a 80lb set up with 100lb leader and never had any drama's i wrap it 12 times and well lube it when pulling it tight once using locked drag to tighten it 51lb drag pressure once its 100% tight i use a dab of super glue let it set and trim,

Thanks for suggestions guys :D

I just did slim beauty knot. I hope it wont slip away this time :)

When I looked at my braid, i notice that my albright knot was still perfect and just my mono slipped away. I even dropped few drops of super glue as well.

I dont think your tying it right mate, it should'nt slip at all.

The only problem ive had with an albright was after heavy constaint fishing i have noticed wear on the mono around the loop.

There are good instructional vids on youtube that show you step by step how to tie correctly.

Its only a good knot to use with braid to heavy mono leaders, if your just using light to medium leaders stick to double uni and take your time tying it.

I've heard rumours of people using heatshrink over the top of their albrights etc to stop them from coming loose. All I can say is, if it is tied right you should never have it slip. The albright is one of the best leader knots around, if not the best for heavy leaders to braid.

Thanks for reply ppl :)

@ locodave: I was thinking about using bandaid too. If i use just braid for spinning, you think fish can see the line? My braid is green colour.

@ leo: I was using double uni when i lost it at first time :(

@ scaffsta: I just watched video on slim beauty. I might give it ago.

I use a double uni and never have any issues.

50lb braid to 60lb mono leader... with the uni I always do 10 turns for the braid and 5 turns for the mono. Holds well..

Bloopin's on the money re: the double uni. I have recently returned from the albright back to the slim beauty because I found that even a well trimmed tag end caught on the guides when casting, and also due to the catching it seemed to weaken after time. I have never had a slim beauty slip - I use purpose designed glue on the knot (can't remember what it's called)if I'm going offshore for tuna etc., I never use superglue in case there is a reaction with the mono or flouro leader.

Cheers.

I use double uni's for all work under 30lb and mid knots for work over 30lb if i have time. Otherwise i just use a double uni. I'm not very good at Albrights but In the past when i've experimented with albrights i've noticed that if you try to tighten the knot too much by pulling both the strands of the main and leader at the same time the knot will half bunch and catch but not form properly. Once you have the knot starting to hold, let go of the tags of the main and leader and only pull on the main part of the main and leader to tighten and form the knot. Make sure you lubricate it properly as there is alot of friction as it tightens.

I dont think your tying it right mate, it should'nt slip at all.

The only problem ive had with an albright was after heavy constaint fishing i have noticed wear on the mono around the loop.

There are good instructional vids on youtube that show you step by step how to tie correctly.

Its only a good knot to use with braid to heavy mono leaders, if your just using light to medium leaders stick to double uni and take your time tying it.

yeah mate, I did it accordingly from youtube video :( Like i said, I caught over 45+ bonnies and salmons for last knot.

Oh yeah, I notice something as well. I lost the line when I cast it for first time and 2nd time. Could it be because of knot hitting the rod guide?

Hi,

I was taught a slightly modified version of the Albright knot which has proven to never fail for me when tying 12lb mono to 8lb braid.

Follow all the steps as given on the knot guide on our FR website till you get to the last step.

The modification: pass the braid through the original loop of mono 3 times before tightening.

Hope this helps. It's worked beautifully for me for years now.

Regards,

Koalaboi