Sambo's & Tailor of Bawley Point, South Coast

cheap charlie

Watching a recorded episode of Fishing Australia yesterday, Rob did a quick little segment on fishing at Bawley Point / kiola.

The stones in the background looked promising, so i thought I might make a the 20 minute run down there today.

Grabbed my blackie rod, a little snap lock box of gear and a loaf of bread and headed down to the water.

Found a high dry rock 5M from the the waters edge with a drain in front of it. Berlyed up, cast in and waited... :1fishing1:

Looking at the waves as they stood up 30m from shore i could see a school of Salmon on the move..

5 minutes later, nothing happening in the blackie department...

Stuff this, I made a quick dash back to the car to grab my 10ft drummer stick and some metal slugs..

Back at the water with 1 of the el cheapo 6 for $14 Halco copy 34gram lures...

Quick cast, fast retrieve and I am on...

After a couple minutes and half a dozen jumps up comes a sambo onto the rocks. Not a bad sambo, went 64cm.

Next cast saw 2 good hits before a hook up. Got him 10M from the sure before he jumped out of the water and spat the lure. Started to reel the lure back it for another cast when I got smashed about half a meter from the sure. Up came a little Tailor around the 35cm mark..

The next half hour was 9 casts for 9 Salmon.. all around the mid 50cm mark..

All of a sudden the school moved on. made about 20 casts for no result.

By this stage my back is starting to feel the strain of juggling a heavy 10ft carbon stick..

I started to cast in different directions to try and locate some fish. I put in a cast which ended up only 1M off the sore directly along the rock ledge. thought to my self i better get this lure back in and quick before I get snagged. As the slug bounced across the top of the water there was fish busting up after it and I am on. This guy darted back along the rock ledge stripping drag as he went. After about 20M he darted out into the open, just as I started to get a bit line back he took to the air and the line went limp. I thought he must have spat the slug, as I wound there was no weight at all.. Bugger, there goes my expensive lure :biggrin2:

Bit clean through the 12lb Fluro leader. A quick look through my bag confirmed that 12lb was the heaviest leader I had in there.

Re rigged and straped on another trusty slug. cast into a similar spot but a few more meters of the shore and skipped the slug across the water again, a couple of quick winds and the tailor are smashing up the water after my lure again and smashed it.

Same thing happened again, bit through the leader. Looked to be a pretty decent chopper.

I hatched a plan to double over the last 200mm of my leader. Looked like crap, but I figured the chances of keeping my lure had to be improved.

Dragged in tailor after tailor. Most where around the mid to late 30cm range.

Noticed the Salmon school coming back around the rocks again. Waited till they came into range and tossed the metal at them.

For the next hour it was a fish for every 3 casts.

I had no real plans to take any tailor or sambos home. Deep hooked a couple of tailor and a sambo. had to keep them as they where in pretty bad shape. So I ripped the treble hook of to replace it with a suitably sized single hook.

Put in 10 casts. The fish would follow the lure but would not hit it.. The single hook that I had fitted was red in Color. changed it out for a black hook and the fish where lining up to jump on the lure again.

Looking around there was not another person in sight... i could not believe I had this bite all to my self..

About 4;30 the bite started to die off in a big way..

grabbed the phone out for a couple of quick snaps.. Made a quick call to find a home for the 3 fish I had to keep.

Every thing else was released to fight another day..

Sitting here typing this up, my back is reminding me I aint 21 any more. time to buy a 9ft 6 - 8Kegs spin stick :yahoo:

post-18770-056093200 1309168200_thumb.jpg

post-18770-019509700 1309168236_thumb.jpg

post-18770-078089100 1309168250_thumb.jpg

post-18770-011507600 1309168281_thumb.jpg

Just got back from bawley and found thousands of good sized bonito where around. Fished for 3 days for 40+ bonito biggest going 65cm and not one salmon or tailor in tge mix which was odd. all caught on lure also

Watching a recorded episode of Fishing Australia yesterday, Rob did a quick little segment on fishing at Bawley Point / kiola.

The stones in the background looked promising, so i thought I might make a the 20 minute run down there today.

Grabbed my blackie rod, a little snap lock box of gear and a loaf of bread and headed down to the water.

Found a high dry rock 5M from the the waters edge with a drain in front of it. Berlyed up, cast in and waited... :1fishing1:

Looking at the waves as they stood up 30m from shore i could see a school of Salmon on the move..

5 minutes later, nothing happening in the blackie department...

Stuff this, I made a quick dash back to the car to grab my 10ft drummer stick and some metal slugs..

Back at the water with 1 of the el cheapo 6 for $14 Halco copy 34gram lures...

Quick cast, fast retrieve and I am on...

After a couple minutes and half a dozen jumps up comes a sambo onto the rocks. Not a bad sambo, went 64cm.

Next cast saw 2 good hits before a hook up. Got him 10M from the sure before he jumped out of the water and spat the lure. Started to reel the lure back it for another cast when I got smashed about half a meter from the sure. Up came a little Tailor around the 35cm mark..

The next half hour was 9 casts for 9 Salmon.. all around the mid 50cm mark..

All of a sudden the school moved on. made about 20 casts for no result.

By this stage my back is starting to feel the strain of juggling a heavy 10ft carbon stick..

I started to cast in different directions to try and locate some fish. I put in a cast which ended up only 1M off the sore directly along the rock ledge. thought to my self i better get this lure back in and quick before I get snagged. As the slug bounced across the top of the water there was fish busting up after it and I am on. This guy darted back along the rock ledge stripping drag as he went. After about 20M he darted out into the open, just as I started to get a bit line back he took to the air and the line went limp. I thought he must have spat the slug, as I wound there was no weight at all.. Bugger, there goes my expensive lure :biggrin2:

Bit clean through the 12lb Fluro leader. A quick look through my bag confirmed that 12lb was the heaviest leader I had in there.

Re rigged and straped on another trusty slug. cast into a similar spot but a few more meters of the shore and skipped the slug across the water again, a couple of quick winds and the tailor are smashing up the water after my lure again and smashed it.

Same thing happened again, bit through the leader. Looked to be a pretty decent chopper.

I hatched a plan to double over the last 200mm of my leader. Looked like crap, but I figured the chances of keeping my lure had to be improved.

Dragged in tailor after tailor. Most where around the mid to late 30cm range.

Noticed the Salmon school coming back around the rocks again. Waited till they came into range and tossed the metal at them.

For the next hour it was a fish for every 3 casts.

I had no real plans to take any tailor or sambos home. Deep hooked a couple of tailor and a sambo. had to keep them as they where in pretty bad shape. So I ripped the treble hook of to replace it with a suitably sized single hook.

Put in 10 casts. The fish would follow the lure but would not hit it.. The single hook that I had fitted was red in Color. changed it out for a black hook and the fish where lining up to jump on the lure again.

Looking around there was not another person in sight... i could not believe I had this bite all to my self..

About 4;30 the bite started to die off in a big way..

grabbed the phone out for a couple of quick snaps.. Made a quick call to find a home for the 3 fish I had to keep.

Every thing else was released to fight another day..

Sitting here typing this up, my back is reminding me I aint 21 any more. time to buy a 9ft 6 - 8Kegs spin stick :yahoo:

Awesome report mate looks like good fun. Gotta love spinning from the rocks